SAML Entra ID/Azure VPN authentication - only external users getting "Matching client config not found" error

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

SAML Entra ID/Azure VPN authentication - only external users getting "Matching client config not found" error

L0 Member

Hey,

I have a really strange issue and I don't know how to solve it. We created and authentication profile and mapped it to our portal. Users from our domain lets call it ourcompanydomain, are able to connect  with GlobalProtect-VPN (which opens M365 Loginpage) without any issues. But when external users are doing the same, they get "Matching client config not found" error. By the way Conditional Access settings in Entra ID are working as they should according to Sign in Logs and they accepted the invitation to our tenant as external guests.

I looked upon the Monitoring Logs for GlobalProtect and I saw that external users (their source user) show up as john.lennon#EXT#@ourcompanydomain.onmicrosoft.com, but our internal users show up as ringo.star@ourcompanydomain.com . This is because in Entra ID the UPN name has a different format for external users. Therefore I changed the Claims in Entra ID (Attributes & Claims) to send user.mail instead of the UPN name to the firewall (both for username and Name ID claims).

Now when an external user is trying to connect the correct mailadress/source user, is shown in monitoring in the correct format. But the "matching client config not found" error still shows up and I don't know why. In the gateway's client settings the user is added to the source user list and it's exactly the same as the the source user in monitoring.

If I set the gateway to allow any user in the gateway's client settings, connection is established without any problems so it definitely is some kind some usermatching of matching error.

I already deleted c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect .dat files as some websites suggest, but it doesn't help.

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!