SAML with ADFS and GP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

SAML with ADFS and GP

L1 Bithead

Hi Everyone

We are currently using GP with LDAP as an authentication method. This works like charm.

Now, we want to start using the AZURE MFA option that we have configured on our ADFS servers.
I’ve managed to setup the SAML between the ADFS servers (2016) and the palo alto but I can’t seem to get the VPN working.

I’ve followed this guide to setup the SAML authentication.
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/9-0/pan-os-admin/authentication/configure-saml-authenticati...

Unfortunately, after following this guide, it didn’t work. I didn’t get any assertation values. I then removed the certificate from the ADFS server in the relaying party trust.
Now I’m seeing the incoming claims but still no luck.
Then I found this article: https://www.reddit.com/r/paloaltonetworks/comments/8gsp9b/saml_sso_with_microsoft_adfs/

and this: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/general-topics/adfs-saml-configuration/td-p/144886/page/2

I added the 5 claims and set my user attributes.
Hooray I’m able to login to the portal now. However, if I try to login with the global protect client, I get the question to login to my ADFS but then the client hangs on connecting. If I check the authd log, I see that it uses a username consisting of letters and numbers.

Next step. I removed the all the claims and I’m now sending samaccountname as a claim and I changed the username attribute also to samaccountname on the palo alto.

I see the username name now in the authd log, but login does not work. The reason was that on the gateway, I configured to only allow only certain groups to be able to login to the gateway. If I set those users to any, the logon works!

The bad news is, now I’m unable to login to the portal.

I guess I’m having a problem setting the correct claims but I’m not sure to what exactely.

Anyone that has a similar setup that wants to share their configuration please? 😊

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

L2 Linker

Hi,

Would it possible to pass the SAML attribute as domain\username? Where the domain will be the NetBIOS domain of your AD and username will be sAMAccountName

If you're connected to a root domain controller via LDAP, we should retrieve a domain-map for all the Parent and child domains configured in the environment. Below you will see the example from my domain.  

You can check the domain-map with the following command: 

> debug user-id dump domain-map

sus.sos.local : sus
vsys1 dc=sus,dc=sos,dc=local
sos.local : sos
vsys1 dc=sos,dc=local

Here my AD dns domain is 'sos.local' and Netbios  domain is 'sos'

You can check the user-id database to see what attributes are being pulled and normalized by the firewall, using the following command

> show user user-attributes user all

An example would be:

Primary: sos\testuser1 Email: testuser1@sos.local
Alt User Names:
1) sos\testuser1
2) testuser1@sos.local

L1 Bithead

Hi

thank you for the reply!
I setup the settings again as in the reddit post above.

if I do:

> debug user-id dump domain-map
I get: wich is indeed our AD domain

my.domain.com : my
vsys1 dc=my,dc=domain,dc=com

if I do:
> show user user-attributes user all

Primary: global\test1
Alt User Names:
1) domainname2.com\test1
2) test1@domainname2.com
--> this is the user that I logged in with on the gp portal (with success)

if I check another user (one that I'm not testing with):
Primary: my\user2
Alt User Names:
1) my\user2
2) yuri.lupinov@domainname2.com

the thing is, we have the my.domain.com as our AD domain
but next to that, we have other domains the we use in our UPN
so user will logon with username@domainname2.com or username@domainname3.com depending on where they work.

so portal logon works.
if i want to connect with the gp client, it just hangs on connecting
authd last message is: find domain for auth profile: SAML; vsys vsys1

I also see:
Sent PAN_AUTH_SUCCESS SAML response:(authd_id: 6792859029119963731) (return username 'dh9FF4rL/1jWq/Pg+UoU6kqL10m3qVX8Qd5lEuZHq2w=') (auth profile 'SAML') (NameID 'dh9FF4rL/1jWq/Pg+UoU6kqL10m3qVX8Qd5lEuZHq2w=') (SessionIndex '_ca94283d-5144-49de-8602-31eccb617157') (Single Logout enabled? 'Yes')

so it's not sending me any domain\user info

I guess the next step would be to have the adfs send domain\user info?
any idea's on how to setup the claims then in ADFS?
I've tried testing with samaccountame, but it then send me test1,my\test1
so both versions while I was sending only 1 claim.

kind regards

Thank you for the information. 

So if you look at the authd logs it is picking the username from the Subject NameID, which tells me that no username attribute is being picked from the SAML response, so NameID is being used. Below is an example where no username attribute returns, so the Subject Name ID is being used. 

2020-06-17 19:19:32.817 -0700 debug: _parse_sso_response(pan_authd_saml.c:1037): SAML SSO response from "http://www.okta.com/exk3ot73ubmw1MhEn357" has no username attribute
2020-06-17 19:19:32.817 -0700 debug: _parse_sso_response(pan_authd_saml.c:1040): SAML SSO response from "http://www.okta.com/exk3ot73ubmw1MhEn357": Use saml:Subject NameID "sahmed@sos.local" as username

In your case, the same thing is occurring, but Subject NameID format is most likely transient, hence it has a randomly generated username and the username attribute is not being picked. 

Sent PAN_AUTH_SUCCESS SAML response:(authd_id: 6792859029119963731) (return username 'dh9FF4rL/1jWq/Pg+UoU6kqL10m3qVX8Qd5lEuZHq2w=') (auth profile 'SAML') (NameID 'dh9FF4rL/1jWq/Pg+UoU6kqL10m3qVX8Qd5lEuZHq2w=') (SessionIndex '_ca94283d-5144-49de-8602-31eccb617157') (Single Logout enabled? 'Yes')

What is the username attribute configured in the authentication profile? the default should be the "username"

I would suggest installing the SAML Devl Tool for chrome and then authenticating to the Portal via the browser to analyze the SAML response and checking to see what attributes are returned from your idP. See the KB link for SAML intro and where you download the SAML DevTools

SAML DevTools Extension
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/saml-devtools-extension/jndllhgbinhiiddokbeoeepbppdnhhio?h...

Introduction to SAML: 
https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClVvCAK

Hi

just wanted to update that I'm doing some more testing, so for it's either portal or gateway that's working, not both 🙂

I'll post the solution when I've found it

kind regards

Hi all

this is how we got it to work:

ASinfrastructure_0-1593688769661.png

ASinfrastructure_1-1593688808295.png

Thank you Sakhan for the help!

good luck
Roel

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!