VPN Access for Remote Desktop

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

VPN Access for Remote Desktop

L1 Bithead

Hello All,

My organization is using Globalprotect VPN to access RD of office PCs from home. I have a slightly different requirement. I want to access my personal laptop from office. What I tried to do was connected VPN on my laptop and tried Windows Remote Desktop from office with both IP and  preferred IP but it didn't detect the PC.

Is there another way to find the new IP address for RD? Any suggestions or solution highly appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

You will need a security policy to allow rdp from your office zone to your GlobalProtect zone. Then rdp to the ip address given by the gateway client config.

Thanks.

Actually I am not very technical personal, would there be an easy solution?

Thanks.

L4 Transporter

If I'm understanding what you are trying to do, you are trying to connect from your office computer to your home computer with RDP?  Your home computer is likely not using a publicly routable IP address.  Instead, it's probably using an address reserved for use on private networks such as 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x.  You cannot find these on the Internet.  They are only for use on internal networks.  If this is the case, your router has a public IP address on the connection to your ISP, but hides all the private addresses on the inside using network address translation (NAT).  In order to access the computer inside your network, you would have to enable port-forwarding on the router.  The steps for doing this vary from one manufacturer to another, and if you are not very technical, you should probably have someone who is help you set this up.  Alternatively, you might consider a product like TeamViewer.  However, both of these are outside the scope of this forum.  You will not be able to use GlobalProtect to connect to your home network, unless you're running a Palo Alto firewall.

Yes correct, thats what I am trying to do. Port forwarding will expose my home internet for vulnerabilities. I think this will be risky. Thanks anyway.

You might want to look at a product like TeamViewer for your purposes, which can allow you to access your home computer from your phone or another computer without needing to open up ports on your firewall. While it's not a Palo Alto solution, I think it fits your use case better.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!