'ascii' codec can't encode characters

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

'ascii' codec can't encode characters

L2 Linker

Hi!

0.9.26 is a great update - thanks for the hard work. Already using the CIF miner and enjoying the live UI updates.

I'm seeing a a bunch of these errors in my engine log:

2016-10-28T21:31:15 (30348)amqp._callback ERROR: Exception in handling update on topic proc-URL-name-HighConfidence with params {u'source': u'proc-URL-name-HighConfidence', u'indicator': u'http://steponnopets.com.sg/acct/identity.php/?amp=&processing_transaction_ids\xc3\xa3\xc2\xa4a0bf64c8ba839a7a7015=&sessargs=g_5rxbrvaxu_bmhpswnni8z2g3zho1ox', u'value': {u'confidence': 85, u'cif_group': [u'general.name'], u'cif_description': u'wells fargo personal banking', u'cif_tlp': u'privileged', u'share_level': u'green', u'cif_lasttime': u'2016-10-22T22:20:30Z', u'sources': [u'bl-URL-name-Phishing'], u'cif_provider': u'apwg.org', u'cif_altid_tlp': u'restricted', u'cif_tags': [u'phishing'], u'first_seen': 1477704643118L, u'type': u'URL', u'cif_reporttime': u'2016-10-22T22:24:07Z', u'last_seen': 1477704643118L}}
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/minemeld/engine/0.9.26/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/minemeld/comm/amqp.py", line 358, in _callback
m(**params)
File "/opt/minemeld/engine/0.9.26/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/minemeld/ft/base.py", line 121, in _counter
f(self, *args, **kwargs)
File "/opt/minemeld/engine/0.9.26/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/minemeld/ft/base.py", line 494, in update
value=fltvalue
File "/opt/minemeld/engine/0.9.26/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/minemeld/ft/base.py", line 121, in _counter
f(self, *args, **kwargs)
File "/opt/minemeld/engine/0.9.26/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/minemeld/ft/taxii.py", line 920, in filtered_update
self._add_indicator(now, indicator, value)
File "/opt/minemeld/engine/0.9.26/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/minemeld/ft/taxii.py", line 842, in _add_indicator
indicator
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 77-80: ordinal not in range(128)

The Processor seems to be working and just skipping over these invalid entries, so that's good. This is a new CIF added feed.

Just wanted to report it.

Thanks again,

Dan

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Hi @DanWoodruff,

thanks for reporting this, I think the problem is related to the non-ascii character in the URL ('\xc3...'). I have opened bug minemeld-core#77 (https://github.com/PaloAltoNetworks/minemeld-core/issues/77) to track this issue.

I am planning to have it fixed by the next release.

Thanks !

luigi

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L7 Applicator

Hi @DanWoodruff,

thanks for reporting this, I think the problem is related to the non-ascii character in the URL ('\xc3...'). I have opened bug minemeld-core#77 (https://github.com/PaloAltoNetworks/minemeld-core/issues/77) to track this issue.

I am planning to have it fixed by the next release.

Thanks !

luigi

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!