JSON parser extractor name with a "-"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

JSON parser extractor name with a "-"

L2 Linker

I have a JSON list (URL https://ip-ranges.cloud.signiant.com/MediaShuttle) with one part of the JSON path name containing a minus sign ("-"):

{
    "us-east-1": {
        "all_ips": [
            "3.83.158.71", 
            "3.87.14.184", 
            "34.207.126.66", 
            "34.227.155.76", 
            "34.236.155.245", 
            "52.2.203.56", 
            "52.23.203.179", 
            "52.73.28.78", 
            "52.86.231.134"
        ]
    }
}

Using the  JMESPath tester from jmespath.org, I created an expression that pulls out what I need:

us-east-1.all_ips

However, the Minemeld engine will not start, throwing an 'Unknown Character" error, apparently due to the dash.  I've tried escaping and quoting using several variations and I cannot create the extractor needed.  These are the variations I've tried:

• us-east-1.all_ips: Unknown Character (the '-')
  • "us-east-1.all_ips": Unknown Character
  • "us-east-1".all_ips: Engine won't start
  • "us-east-1".all_ips[]: Engine won't start
  • 'us-east-1'.all_ips: engine won't start
  • 'us-east-1'.all_ips[].{indicator:@}: engine won't start
  • "us-east-1".all_ips[].{indicator:@}: engine won't start
  • us\-east\-1.all_ips[].{indicator:@}: Unknown character
  • "us-east-1.all_ips"[].{indicator:@}: engine won't start (expected end but found [)
  • "us-east-1.all_ips[]".{indicator:@}: expected <block end>, but found '<scalar>'
  • "us-east-1.all_ips[].{indicator:@}": Unknown character
  • "us\-east\-1.all_ips[].{indicator:@}": engine won't start

Thanks in advance,

Mike

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hi @MichaelPDean,

this is a tricky one.

the right expression is already in your list (us-east-1.all_ips[].{indicator:@})  but it must be double escaped .

First, us-east-1 is not a valid python espression so you must quote it to become "us-east-1" . But you can't provide extractor: "us-east-1".all_ips[].{indicator:@} to the prototype because the YAML loader will fail parsing it due to the first double quote describing the value to be a string scalar and the dot character after the second double quote being considered as an invalid sequence.

So you must escape again for the YAML loader to consider the whole line a string scalar. The right value is then:

extractor: '"us-east-1".all_ips[].{indicator:@}'

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L5 Sessionator

Hi @MichaelPDean,

this is a tricky one.

the right expression is already in your list (us-east-1.all_ips[].{indicator:@})  but it must be double escaped .

First, us-east-1 is not a valid python espression so you must quote it to become "us-east-1" . But you can't provide extractor: "us-east-1".all_ips[].{indicator:@} to the prototype because the YAML loader will fail parsing it due to the first double quote describing the value to be a string scalar and the dot character after the second double quote being considered as an invalid sequence.

So you must escape again for the YAML loader to consider the whole line a string scalar. The right value is then:

extractor: '"us-east-1".all_ips[].{indicator:@}'

Thanks, that worked!

L0 Member

Thank you both. With this post I was able to decipher part of the syntax for a new miner. I can't seem to find a description of the syntax for the YAML files (as can be found in /opt/minemeld/prototypes/minemeld-node-prototypes/prototypes).

Infrastructure engineer in a broadcast environment.
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!