WhatsApp and Minemeld

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

WhatsApp and Minemeld

L1 Bithead

Hello,

It seems that Facebook allows again customer to easily access network requirement for WhatsApp (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/whatsapp/guides/network-requirements/) such as Ports, Protocols and IP Addresses.

The IP Addresses are stored in a ZIP file behind an URL.

I'm not an expert nor a beginner to develop a miner to exploit this source, but I'm ready to make some tests.

Do we have someone from the community who wants to take the challenge to develop that? 

In any case thanks a lot.
Regards

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

Hi @lvmh_onenetwork,

for sure that article is not really security focused (You can try to allow all of the IP addresses. However, it is best to just allow all outgoing traffic and connections from the above ports. :-))

PAN-OS does a good job at detecting whats-app application, do you think mining IP addresses would be useful anyway?

luigi

Hello,

never late to respond on this topic 🙂

yeah, we are trying to use as much as possible the APP-ID but often (but very few) the application does not recognize the flow and I really have to avoid that.

Thank you for your answer.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!