Withdraw mesage source

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Withdraw mesage source

L1 Bithead

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on connecting MineMeld with our SIEM solution. I however ran into a question.

When receiving an update message it states which sources the IOC originated from, also if there are multiple. example: (binarydefense and badips)

{"message":"{\"@indicator\":\"120.69.220.5-120.69.220.5\",\"direction\":\"inbound\",\"@origin\":\"IPv4_Aggregator\",\"type\":\"IPv4\",\"@timestamp\":\"2016-10-11T17:13:35.693563Z\",\"confidence\":50,\"share_level\":\"green\",\"sources\":[\"binarydefense.banlist\",\"badips.any_3\"],\"logstash_output_node\":\"Output-To-Logstash-5514\",\"message\":\"update\",\"@version\":1,\"first_seen\":\"2016-09-30T13:50:29.164000Z\",\"last_seen\":\"2016-09-30T13:50:34.330000Z\"}","@version":"1","@timestamp":"2016-10-11T15:13:35.693Z","host":"127.0.0.1","port":34402}

However all withdraw messages I receive do not include this field.

Question: are withdraw messages generated when the IOC is removed rom ALL sources or is a messages generated for each source individually?

Regards,

Forseti

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

Hi @Forseti,

WITHDRAW messages have no body and an aggregator generates a withdraw for an indicator only when all the Miners have withdrawn the indicator.

Longer explanation:

Let's suppose you have a graph with 2 Miners M1 and M2, connected to an aggregator A, and A is connected to a single output node O. This is how WITHDRAWs work:

1. suppose that in the initial state both M1 and M2 have published an indicator I. M1 published I with a set of attributes AM1. M2 published I with a set of attributes AM2. Aggregator A then has published to O the indicator I with a set of attributes (AM1+AM2).
  2. Miner M1 expires indicator I (expiration of indicators depends on the age out configuration in each single Miner, i.e. each Miner can apply a different age out policy) and sends a WITHDRAW of indicator I to aggregator A.
  3. Aggregator A generates an UPDATE message to output O for indicator I with a set of attributes AM2, as AM1 have been removed.
  4. Miner M2 expires indicator I (according to its own age out policy) and sends a WITHDRAW of indicator I to aggregator A.
  5. Aggregator A at this point should remove indicator I because all the original Miners sources of I have withdrawn the indicator. Aggregator A then generates a WITHDRAW message for indicator I to output O.

Hope this helps.

Luigi

Perfect answer! Just what I needed to know! Thank you @Imori
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!