cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Detect high bandwith consumption

L1 Bithead

Hello everyone!

I´m looking for a way to identify a user or IP when they have high bw consumption

Lets say a user is downloading something and is using all my ISP bw, how can I identify it in that moment?

I was able to do this but when the session was finished, in my scenario my user downloaded something for 2hs an I had to wait until that to identify, this is very frustrating.

Has anyone find a way to do this? it will be very very helpful

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

L2 Linker

You can identify from ACC tab. Also you can use QoS policy to limit user's bandwidth or identify user.

Hello  YEmereSeven,

Sadly ACC refresh every 15 minutes and if the session is still going it will not show until it ends.
QoS you can see real time traffic (with the graph) but can`t identify the user that is consuming at that time.

It is really disappointing and wierd that PA has no way to do this.

Regards!

Hi Procom,

You can try identify the sessions from the CLI that is above a certain amount of data.

show session all filter min-kb 1048576 ( will give you all session above 1 GB)

Take into account this will also include long running sessions.

But should give you a good indication.

You could also try using netflow.

For session that have already ended you can use the ACC dashboard.

I have asked ChatGPT for some python code that can help you print out the session that go above a certain througput.

10 Mbps in the example you can adjust the params to what you want.

Bandwidth Hogs - Pastebin.com

Hi Procom, QoS without using the bandwidth limitation will show you to live traffic. But it will be show only offloaded traffic. We can't see the real throughput from SNMP or QoS.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!