NGFW routing internet traffic help

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

NGFW routing internet traffic help

L1 Bithead

I am setting up a very simple PA200 implementation and all I need at this stage is to be able to contact the Palo update server to update the PanOS.  I have the FW plugged in directly from ethernet1/1 to the modem (subnet 192.168.0.1).  The gateway is pingable.  My machine is connected to the the management interface (172.16.30.35).  I have  virtual router configured to send all traffic (0.0.0.0/0) out of ethernet1/1.  I have an any/any security policy set.  I have a NAT rule (I suspect this is the problem) configured to translate the networks to each other (at least that's my intention).  I know the issue is something simple but I can't get past it. Any help would be appreciated.

ebryan_1-1625177055815.png

ebryan_0-1625176896772.png

23 REPLIES 23

Ok, then ...

• What zone did you assign to loopback.1?
  • Did you ad the loopback interface to the same virtual router as ethernet1/1 (your "external" interface)?
  • Did you check the trafficlogs for connections from 192.168.0.1 towards the configured dns servers on port 53?
  • Did you commit the configuration prior to checking for new updates?

... or configure the interface eth1/2 as layer2 and also another port to the same layer 2 vlan and there is no need for a switch/hub 😉😉

loopback.1 is in the untrust zone

ebryan_2-1625341567333.png

The loopback and interface 1/1 are both on the same virtual router

ebryan_1-1625341304526.png

I can see log entries from 192.168.0.1 to the configured DNS servers

ebryan_0-1625341262644.png

Yes, I committed the changes prior to testing

In these sessions in the trafficlog, is NAT applied there?

Yes. This is the NAT policy:

ebryan_0-1625342065038.png

Try a completely different IP on loopback.1 (for example 172.16.255.255/32). Because right now your loopback and the eth1/1 probably generate an IP conflict.

I think that did it.  I've got a different error now which I don't think you guys can help me with.

ebryan_0-1625343074727.png

L5 Sessionator

If you go to the device tab, scroll down to licenses, retrieve keys from server, assuming you gave your MGT interface a DNS server, it will request the licenses purchased for the device. If you need to purchase licenses, talk to a reseller about a LAB unit, or use a pay-as-you-go firewall in the public cloud, instead. 

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

L0 Member

A virtual router is a function of the firewall that participates in Layer 3 routing ... In addition to routing to other network devices, virtual routers mycfavisit

• 23 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!