Panorama 10.1.6-h3 - Device Import Failed

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama 10.1.6-h3 - Device Import Failed

L2 Linker

I'm trying to import an AWS Palo Alto VM-Series firewall running 10.1.5-h2 into an ESXi Panorama VM running 10.1.6-h3. Communication between the firewall and panorama is good and there doesn't seem to be any routing issues.

I added the serial number into Panorama and generated the Auth-Key for the firewall but the firewall is showing up as "Disconnected". When I try to "Reassociate" the device I get an error that reads "Import Failed <serial number> to-sw-version is invalid"

I've searched Palo Alto KB and the Internet. I've found nothing related to this error.

Has anyone seen this one before? Or is there a system log that I can look at that might give some additional insight?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Get out there and do great things!
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @DanaHawkins ,

"Reassociate" have different purpose - it should be used if you want to assign already connected firewall to different device-group and template stack.

I had similar experience last time I was adding VM firewall to Panorama - although the correct auth-key was used devices was still in disconnected state. My suggestion is to re-add the firewall again
1. Remove FW from Panorama, with "delete" button under Managed Devices -> Summary

2. Commit to Panorama

3. Click on Add, generate new auth-key, (optionally uncheck associate devices), enter VM FW serial number

4. Commit to Panorama

5. Go to firewall and enter the new auth-key (to be honest I am not sure if you need to commit fw config, but I would suggest to do it)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @DanaHawkins ,

"Reassociate" have different purpose - it should be used if you want to assign already connected firewall to different device-group and template stack.

I had similar experience last time I was adding VM firewall to Panorama - although the correct auth-key was used devices was still in disconnected state. My suggestion is to re-add the firewall again
1. Remove FW from Panorama, with "delete" button under Managed Devices -> Summary

2. Commit to Panorama

3. Click on Add, generate new auth-key, (optionally uncheck associate devices), enter VM FW serial number

4. Commit to Panorama

5. Go to firewall and enter the new auth-key (to be honest I am not sure if you need to commit fw config, but I would suggest to do it)

L1 Bithead

I'm stuck in the same cycle.  I went to add 2 HA Pair's last night and the secondary of one pair went in without issue, the other 3 are stuck in disconnected.  Dynamics, plugins, softwares are all matched...I've followed the above (about 5 times on each of them) and still stuck.  They are all 4 on the same mgmt /24 subnet and I see the traffic for the one that is working (fw mgmt to pano mgmt via 3978) but none of the other traffics.  So odd.   

Any other suggestions on shunting this out?  It also looks like when I DO send off for a new auth key it's the same one as before.  How do I force a new auth key maybe?  

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!