Panorama - VM Hardware version

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama - VM Hardware version

L3 Networker

I have a Panorama VM that is running in production for many years now.   Currently, the VM hardware version is 7

I recently switched from legacy mode to panorama mode.  I had no issues during this process.  However, ever since then, our backup software seems to crash Panorama.  Panorama becomes unreachable and a reboot is necessary to resolve.

Our Panorama is has 8 CPU, the guide mentions that minimum should be 16 CPU.  However, since the VM is running hardware version 7, 8 CPU is the max.  Is it safe to upgrade the vm hardware version?

I'm not confident the CPU is the reason why the backup software is crashing the appliance but it needs to be 16 cpu to get technical support from palo

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi there

You appear to be running an out of support version of software with the 7.x 

Is there a reason why your company has not upgraded in nearly 7 years?  Just more of a curiosity on this one.  😛

As far as Panorama, can you please provide information on your need/requirement to change from Legacy to Panorama mode?

I believe Panorama mode was supported in 8.1.x software (and if you are running in 7.x) then maybe (not sure) this could be a symptom.

For upgrading the VM Panorama, you would need to have a valid maintenance contract, and go through getting the latest Dynamic Updates, and then upgrade from 7.x to 8.0 (reboot), from 8.0 to 8.1, then to 9.0, then 9.1, with reboots after every major version.

In the alternative (if you have a maintenance contract) you could also download a FRESH 9.1 image, get it up and running, and then export your older config, then import into the new Panorama.

Hope this helps.

What additional questions can we answer for you?

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions

@SCantwell_IM sorry for the confusion.  My Panorama is actually running 9.0.12.   I switched to panorama mode from legacy, because I'm planning to upgrade to 10.x.   It was my understanding that legacy mode was not supported in 9.1(+above).  Palo documentation states they do not recommend legacy mode.

I'm running the Panorama VM on esxi 6.7, but the virtual machine hardware version is 7 (vmx-07).    This is from when it was originally deployed.  The problem is VM hardware vmx-07 has a max CPU of 8.   What I'm not clear on is if I can upgrade the hardware version of the VM to vmx-10.   If I can't increase the hardware version, then I can't increase the CPU.

As you stated, one option is to deploy a new OVA and restore config.  The issue I have with that is, it seems like this would be something that have to continue to happen, as years go by.  As I'm sure you are aware, every time you do this, you lose all your logs.   Seems like there should be an easier way

L2 Linker

That's an interesting question. Can someone answer this?

L0 Member

Hi,

maybe the backup system is trying to take quiesced snapshots, which is not supported:
https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000POL6CAO
It might be that it has worked fine in the past, but with recent versions it might crash certain processes.

All new versions require/ come with vmx-10 hardware version:
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/compatibility-matrix/vm-series-firewalls/vms-series-hypervisor-sup...

Hope this helps.
regards, Philippe

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!