"Whitelist" a brute force attack

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

"Whitelist" a brute force attack

L0 Member

Hi all,

we run a cron job from one intern server to another.

Because of this we get alerts in the threat tab and the threat tab is full of this. I don´t want to see this alerts anymore.

I create under Objects/vulnarebility protection/ a new profile:

bruceforce.jpg

In the Log I see the threat ID 40031. Should I type in this Nr. in Vendor ID? What should I type in "CVE"?
After that I would create a policy rule and take this "bruceforceattack_Profile" for IPS.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

L2 Linker
You could always make a clone your existing Vulnerability Profile and then under Exceptions, enable and exception on the ID 40031 and change the Action to allow so that it wont log and you still get all the other vulnerability protection.

@Adrijana

In this situation I would suggest adding the servers IP addresses at the IP Address Exemptions column inside the Vulnerability Profile. This way this signature will not be enforced for the list of IPs you define.

As for the CVE field, for this specific IPS signature, there is no CVE associated according to the Palo Alto threat vault website.

https://threatvault.paloaltonetworks.com/Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 12.17.36 AM.png

Finally, if you do not want to see the alert logs, you have two options:

1. In the vulnerability security profile, set the action to "Allow". The allow action does not generate a log;

2. I would simply configure the security log action by clearing up the fields: Log at the Start and Log at the End.

I hope this helps

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!