vm-series on azure - failing to start

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

vm-series on azure - failing to start

L1 Bithead

Anyone have luck deploying a standard vm-series in Azure lately? Hitting the mgmt interface with a web browser will sometimes (most of the time it doesn't respond) display the following: "ATTENTION A critical error has been detected, preventing proper boot up of the device..." Have tried multiple times to get this to deploy on bundle 2 and keep seeing the same thing. I really need to spin one of these up but I can't for whatever reason. Tried emailing support but it was a dead end. Thanks for any assistance. 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L1 Bithead

I really hope this helps someone but the fix was a shorter password. By default, I use complex 32 character passwords. The hardware and virtual appliances only accept 31 chars. The Azure setup wizard does not limit passwords to 31 characters so I had no idea. What was happening was the management service was failing to start. After two or three failed attempts at starting, the box goes into maint mode where you can analyze the logs.

After some begging with support to let me open a case on a device that had not been registered (but I had output from the serial console with the serial number), I was put in touch with an APAC engineer who had the issue sorted pretty quickly.

I suppose this was an edge case and it would seem nobody uses long passwords except me (or they're aware of the 31 char limit which I was not)

Cheers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L1 Bithead

Additional info:

No bootstrap

D3_v2

"latest" version - just occurred to me to try an older version which I'm doing now.

L1 Bithead

Running the older release of v10 didn't seem to make a difference. If I start a ping to the mgmt interface sometimes it comes up for a bit and then goes away again.

L1 Bithead

I really hope this helps someone but the fix was a shorter password. By default, I use complex 32 character passwords. The hardware and virtual appliances only accept 31 chars. The Azure setup wizard does not limit passwords to 31 characters so I had no idea. What was happening was the management service was failing to start. After two or three failed attempts at starting, the box goes into maint mode where you can analyze the logs.

After some begging with support to let me open a case on a device that had not been registered (but I had output from the serial console with the serial number), I was put in touch with an APAC engineer who had the issue sorted pretty quickly.

I suppose this was an edge case and it would seem nobody uses long passwords except me (or they're aware of the 31 char limit which I was not)

Cheers.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!