Best practices - Schedule - allow and block Traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Best practices - Schedule - allow and block Traffic

L1 Bithead

Greetings (apologies in advance if this is a bit long)

Could i have some advice on what would be considered best practice for allowing and blocking certain traffic at certain times.

As a school (K-12) that has Day Scholars, boarder Scholars, live in staff and different privilege's for different aged scholars, i need some advice on the best way to set this up.

So the Grade 8 - 12 Scholars are allowed devices at school, but there are different rules for when the different grades may have their devices. some rules apply to cellphones and some apply to other devices.

i have the various devices in IP ranges and i know which grade the IP range belongs to.

Using Grade 8, 9 and 10 Cell phones as an example,

Grade 8 are allowed to use their Cellphone after school (17:00 - 22:00).

Grade 9 are allowed to use their Cellphone after school (16:00 - 22:00).

Grade 10 are allowed to use their Cellphone after school (15:00 - 22:00).

Office work day ends 16:30

We are happy the Grade 9's having WhatsApp from 16:00 and the Grade 10's having WhatsApp from 15:00.

But we want to block YouTube, Netflix and other high traffic services till 17:00 so as not to interfere with the office Staff.

So do I create rules the is
Rule 1 - allow "everything"

Rule 2 - block "high Traffic" 08:00 till 17:00

Or

Rule 1 - allow "some things"

Rule 2 - allow "High Traffic" 17:00 till 22:00

then do a similar rule for the next grade but change the times.

I have never worked out if the schedule system best practice should be 

Allow and block

or

allow and allow.

Is there somewhere that explains this situation from a best practice stand point?

Thank you for reading this all

(Trying to make sense of things one problem at a time)
1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@DariusvanWijk,

There's really not a "best practice" in regards to this sort of thing, just remember that the rules match in a "waterfall" method. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!