Cannot find pan_packet_diag.log on PA VM

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cannot find pan_packet_diag.log on PA VM

L1 Bithead

Hello,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I would like to use debug log feature on my PA VM. I am able to turn the logging on with the following commands:

debug dataplane packet-diag set log

debug dataplane packet-diag set log feature flow basic

But I am unable to localize the pan_packet_diag.log file to view the logs. dp0-log does not exist on PA VM. And it is not under mp-log either.

Also, I would like to know if there is debug command which will show me on which interface the packet was received and transmitted. Packet capture does not provide such information.

Thank you. 

1 accepted solution
4 REPLIES 4

L6 Presenter

Hi,

Is it licensed VM? 

Hi, 

Yes, it is licensed.

Debug Dataplane Changes

1. On PA-200 all debug logs are now stored in the file pan_task_1.log. To view debug logs use the command “tail
follow yes mp-log pan_task_1.log” or “less mp-log pan_task_1.log”2. In PAN-OS 5.0 and later, you can run a command to aggregate the dataplane logs into one log file. After the debuglogs have been collected, disable the flow basic debug and then run the following command: debug dataplanepacket-diag aggregate-logs.This command will result in all dataplane logs to be aggregated to packet-diag. This is helpful on PA-5000 Serieswhere there are multiple dataplanes. You can then view the aggregated logs collected from all of the dataplanes inone single file.  
Example of enabling debug log in PAN-OS 5.0 is shown below:

debug dataplane packet-diag clear log logdebug dataplane packet-diag set filter match source 172.16.100.87 destination172.16.101.100 destination-port 21 protocol 6debug dataplane packet-diag set filter ondebug dataplane packet-diag set log feature flow basicdebug dataplane packet-diag set log on
To aggregate the dataplane logs, disable the debug logs and then wait about a minute to allow the logs to be fullywritten and then run: debug dataplane packet-diag aggregate-logs. This will combine the dataplanelogs into a single file named single pan_packet_diag.log file.
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!