DUAL Dynamic IPSEC Tunnels single VR

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

DUAL Dynamic IPSEC Tunnels single VR

L1 Bithead

Hi , have 2 dynamic isp at site 1 with single vr and  ECMP and 1 public ip at site 2 paloalto at OCI cloud , i have setup dual tunnels from site 1 to site 2 but its not stable at all , both tunnels will be up but if we simulate failover using either path monitoring or tunnel monitoring or making isp 1 or 2 down we can see that vpn is stuck in initiating phase. We used below guide 

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000POO0CAO 

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

What IP are you using as your monitor? Also what happens if you disable ECMP and user weighted routes instead?

Please advise,

using tunnels ip for monitor for IPSEC, i don't want to disable ECMP since requirements is to have load balancing internet connection. please find attached diagram.  

we  are  using FQDN for dynamic peer  in ike gateway. 

FQDN being used is ip address is it ok or it must be in form of name.domain.com ?? 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

I would make sure your monitor IP's for the tunnels are only sent down the tunnel that has the monitored IP address. I think ECMP might be messing up the tunnel monitor, ie sending traffic down one tunnel and reaching the IP address so the tunnel never goes down and routing gets goofed. 

So make sure the tunnel monitor is setup so tunnel 1 uses an IP address that is only accessible via tunnel 1. What I have done, since I use OSPF, is to have the tunnels have a /30 address and static routes that are only sent down that tunnel and not down OSPF.

example: Tunnel1 has a /30 IP address and the other side of the tunnel has the other /30 address. The the static route for the /30 is sent to the tunnel interface and is not redistributed via OSPF so it cant reroute.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!