GlobalProtect disconnecting the RDP connection when trying to connect

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect disconnecting the RDP connection when trying to connect

L0 Member

Hello,

So I work in education and our department is currently having an issue with the most recent GlobalProtect update (6.2.2-259) pushed onto us. 

Some of our staff members use GlobalProtect on their work-from-home laptops and connect to their office PCs through a RDP connection. We have a document imaging software that staff use which requires GlobalProtect to be activated as well for them to log into the software. Before the update, we were able to activate GlobalProtect on the office PCs and then connect to the document imaging software just fine. Now whenever we try to activate GlobalProtect on the office PC, it'll automatically boot the staff member out of their RDP connection.

I understand that the VPN is switching to an encrypted connection and assigning a new IP, so it makes sense for the connection to temporarily drop between that period. However, prior to the update the remote PCs were working perfectly fine with connecting to GlobalProtect without booting staff members from their RDP connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try and test to get back to our previous environment? Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1

L6 Presenter

@armedina wrote:

Hello,

So I work in education and our department is currently having an issue with the most recent GlobalProtect update (6.2.2-259) pushed onto us. 

Some of our staff members use GlobalProtect on their work-from-home laptops and connect to their office PCs through a RDP connection. We have a document imaging software that staff use which requires GlobalProtect to be activated as well for them to log into the software. Before the update, we were able to activate GlobalProtect on the office PCs and then connect to the document imaging software just fine. Now whenever we try to activate GlobalProtect on the office PC, it'll automatically boot the staff member out of their RDP connection.

I understand that the VPN is switching to an encrypted connection and assigning a new IP, so it makes sense for the connection to temporarily drop between that period. However, prior to the update the remote PCs were working perfectly fine with connecting to GlobalProtect without booting staff members from their RDP connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try and test to get back to our previous environment? Thanks in advance!

When you say "booting from their RDP session" their RDP session is just dropping, right?  If they RDP back into the resource they were on their session on the remote system should be in the same state from the previous connection.

Without hearing more about your setup it's hard to say "why it worked before, but not now" but in general I would expect the RDP session to drop.  If it's MS RDP (mstsc.exe) then you usually got a notification from the RDP application saying you're disconnected and RDP is trying to reconnect.  

The GP VPN being enabled should be quicker than the RDP session fully dropping.  That said, maybe there was a configuration difference along with the software upgrade?  Maybe it worked before because split-tunneling was enabled and with the new client version it's not?

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!