Internet facing interface dhcp-client inbound NAT

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Internet facing interface dhcp-client inbound NAT

Not applicable

So,

PAN 5.0.1

eth1/1 - Layer 3 / Internal network 10.0.0.1/24

eth1/2 - Layer 3 / External network - DHCP assigned IP adress from ISP.

Outbound NAT works. Inbound NAT i simply doesnt get to work.. Smiley Sad

Used the cli command test nat-policy-match from Untrust source 8.8.8.8 destination [assigned ip adress of eth 1/2] destination port 3389 protocol 6

Got rule matched on that..

Followed that up with

debug dataplane packet-diag set filter match destination [ip adress of etch1/2]

debug dataplane packet-diag set filter on

debug dataplane packet-diag set log feature flow basic

debug dataplane packet-diag clear log log

debug dataplane packet-diag set log on

Then several:

tail  mp-log pan_packet_diag.log

Nothing in that log Smiley Sad

End result wanted.. Traffic going to DHCP assigned IP is NAT:ed into internal network. Ie. Satelite office ISP's gives us dhcp issued adresses / or one static / I want to host services such as rdp / ssh etc etc. IPSEC is not an option in this scenario.

Ideas for sollution? Is it even possible???

BR, Christian

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

I think your destination address in the security policy is wrong. Destination address should be based on the pre nat address(External DCHP address), while the desination zone should be the post nat zone(LAN).

My rule looks like this:

The reason you don't get any logs is probably because PA doesn't log traffic that is blocked by the default policy. You can temporarily log this with a CLI command ()

I don't think there is any way to automatically get the DHCP assigned address in an object, but a workaround is using a dyn-dns service and use your fqdn in the security/nat policy. ()

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

It should be possible. I have the same setup on my PA-200 at home, and inbound NAT working without any problems.

Is your security policy allowing the NATed traffic? What does your nat policy and matching security policy look like?

I thought it would..

SO I have,

Sec pol:

src - Untrust  - any -any - any dst - Unstrust - any - (Application) ms-rdp - services (any) - allow - options log

Also have:

src - Untrust  - any -any - any dst - Trust- internal.server.object- (Application) ms-rdp - services (any) - allow - options log

Also tried - Chaging Application to ANY and services to the same I used in the NAT rule. service-ms-rdp...

NAT policy:

src zone: Untrust dst: zone Untrust: any - any - dest adress: External DHCP interface Service: (Created service-ms-rdp 3389) - dest translation:  internal.server.object

The sad part is - I don't see anything in the logs... Smiley Sad And nothing in the debug flow either... How would you go about troubleshoot it?

And, Is there an object with the "DHCP-assigned.address" that one can use instead of the one I made that will not update if the DHCP client gets an new address... Smiley Happy

Br, Christian

I think your destination address in the security policy is wrong. Destination address should be based on the pre nat address(External DCHP address), while the desination zone should be the post nat zone(LAN).

My rule looks like this:

The reason you don't get any logs is probably because PA doesn't log traffic that is blocked by the default policy. You can temporarily log this with a CLI command ()

I don't think there is any way to automatically get the DHCP assigned address in an object, but a workaround is using a dyn-dns service and use your fqdn in the security/nat policy. ()

Damn thats the change I needed to make... I read the advanced NAT PDF and I got the impression that It first nats THEN check policies... Obviously, this is NOT the case Smiley Happy

SO by adding the external IP to the ruleset - BAM, it started working right of the bat... Smiley Happy

I soo searched for DHCP on this site and NAT.. And did not get it to work Smiley Happy But with your great help.. It-s working like a charm.. SO The zone reflect the NATted actions, but the IP does not. Not that obvious imho... And not like any other FW i've worked. with... Juniper, Checkpoint, Clavister..... Smiley Wink So, one more thing to get used to Smiley Happy

Again, THANKS!!! Much appreciated !!!

/C

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!