Migrating PA-5050 to PA-5410

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Migrating PA-5050 to PA-5410

L1 Bithead

Hello all,

Is it possible to migrate from PA-5050 to PA-5410? I've been finding threads regarding migrating to PA-5220 only, but nothing on migrating to PA-5410. We've updated the PA-5050 to the final version available 8.1.25, but when we move to the PA-5410 the lowest version possible for it is 10.2. Will the giant gap between 8.1.25 and 10.2 cause major issues and I should just treat the PA-5410 as a new install? Or should I forget about the PA-5410 and attempt to obtain a PA-5220 as an avenue to eventually install the PA-5410? I'd like to migrate directly to the PA-5410, but I'd like to get input on my options. Thanks in advance for any valuable advice!

Juan G.

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

If you have active support for virtual firewalls you can download OVA from support portal.

If you don't then ask Palo partner company you got new firewalls from to help with migration or see if they can get you 30 day eval license for virtual Palo.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

I see the ova files under Software Updates/VM-series base images. The highest ova version is 8.1.17, but I'm guessing I can update to 10.2 using the downloads under VM-Series software updates. I'll have to download and run before I find out if I have the active support, right? If I don't have support, I'll follow your advice and go through the Palo partner or get a 30-day eval. Thank you!

Juan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

I would export config out from 5050.

Install VM version with 8.1.25

Upgrade VM version all the way to 10.2.x

Import config from VM into new 5410.

Thank you for your reply, Raido! I'll search LIVE on how to create a VM and how to upgrade it. If this is something possible only in Panorama, then I might not be able to because we don't have Pano. I exported config for now. Thanks!

v/r

Juan

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

If you have active support for virtual firewalls you can download OVA from support portal.

If you don't then ask Palo partner company you got new firewalls from to help with migration or see if they can get you 30 day eval license for virtual Palo.

I see the ova files under Software Updates/VM-series base images. The highest ova version is 8.1.17, but I'm guessing I can update to 10.2 using the downloads under VM-Series software updates. I'll have to download and run before I find out if I have the active support, right? If I don't have support, I'll follow your advice and go through the Palo partner or get a 30-day eval. Thank you!

Juan

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!