PA-3220 keeps shutting down to suspended state - can't enter maintenance mode to reset to factory

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

PA-3220 keeps shutting down to suspended state - can't enter maintenance mode to reset to factory

L0 Member

I have a PA-3220 that was likely formerly part of an HA pair.  This device was the passive device and the other 3220 that was part of the pair is gone so I'm trying to factory reset this device.  When I startup the system it boots to the login screen but it will not accept my password.  After a couple tries, the devices shuts down with a message on the console "Stopping PAN software" followed by a number of shutdown messages.  I reboot and enter maintenance mode by choosing 

PANOS (maint-sysroot1)

I select Factory Reset from the menu and then continue but before the reset even starts, I see the "Stopping PAN software" message again and the system seems to go into suspend mode.   Any suggestions for how I can factory reset the device in this case?   I'm guessing this has something to do with an incorrect HA configuration in the device based on the article at the link below but of course I have not access to the CLI or web interface to make the change.  https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClaaCAC.  Seems like I have the same issue described here but I can't get the factory reset to work:  https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/general-topics/firewall-failure/td-p/472598.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@KevinDurfee,

Slightly confused because you appear to be mixing some terminology. You say that you can't access the CLI or GUI to make configuration changes, which is backed up by the fact that your seeing a stop status. The fact that your seeing that in maintenance mode points to a hardware issue, not a configuration issue.

If you can get all of the messages that are being displayed someone might be able to offer more guidance on why it's failing to properly boot, but within maintenance mode it isn't attempting to load anything with your configuration. If you have support on the device in question I'd recommend opening a TAC case and you'll likely get them to RMA the device fairly quickly since you can't even get into it nor factory reset the device. The one thing they might try having you do is just swap the active partition if you can get it to stay in maintenance mode long enough to perform that. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@KevinDurfee,

Slightly confused because you appear to be mixing some terminology. You say that you can't access the CLI or GUI to make configuration changes, which is backed up by the fact that your seeing a stop status. The fact that your seeing that in maintenance mode points to a hardware issue, not a configuration issue.

If you can get all of the messages that are being displayed someone might be able to offer more guidance on why it's failing to properly boot, but within maintenance mode it isn't attempting to load anything with your configuration. If you have support on the device in question I'd recommend opening a TAC case and you'll likely get them to RMA the device fairly quickly since you can't even get into it nor factory reset the device. The one thing they might try having you do is just swap the active partition if you can get it to stay in maintenance mode long enough to perform that. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!