PA's security advisory stance needs fixing. PANOS less that 5.0.9 contains XSRF and I just happened to stumble on this, on an unrelated site

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA's security advisory stance needs fixing. PANOS less that 5.0.9 contains XSRF and I just happened to stumble on this, on an unrelated site

L4 Transporter

I just stumbled on this security advisory while I was googling something totally unrelated...

http://packetstormsecurity.com/files/124184/panp-xssxsrf.txt

"These issues have been fixed in PANOS 5.0.9, mentioned in the release notes like this:

57343—Fixed an issue that caused improper handling of imported certificates that contained HTML."

Also I think this vulnerability isn't even listed here, on PA's Security Advisories page:

Palo Alto Networks Product Vulnerability - Security Advisories

This is the actual vulnerability:

"A couple of bugs exist in Palo Alto Networks PANOS <= 5.0.8 which can be exploited to conduct cross-site scripting attacks.

Certificate fields are displayed in the firewall web interface without proper sanitization applied to them. This way it is possible to inject html into the web interface.

Various file upload forms used by the firewall do not implement proper CSRF protection. import.certificate.php for example. "

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

One month later, still nothing about this on https://securityadvisories.paloaltonetworks.com/.....

I also opened a TAC case for this, answer from there is that the information is not yet published in the security advisories because the fix for PANOS 4.1.x is not available until now.....discussible argumentation...

That's not an acceptable answer to me! When I can find the vulnerability on Palo Alto Networks PanOS 5.0.8 XSS / CSRF ≈ Packet Storm Packet Storm's site, it's out there for the public! At least let customers know there's a vulnerability

I have tried to file the above as a report towards PSIRT, lets see how long it will take for them to reply...

Just wanted to update that I got an explanation from PSIRT and even if I dont fully agree with them I do understand their point of view.

In short: an advisory will show up as soon as there is a fix available for all current PANOS versions.

Thanks for dilligently chasing this down mikand

• 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!