Palo Alto Version Upgrade Skip Intermediate Versions

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Palo Alto Version Upgrade Skip Intermediate Versions

L1 Bithead

Hi There,

I'm trying to upgrade a firewall from PanOS 8 to 10, and I want to skip the intermediate versions.

The firewall is not in production. Is there any way I can boot the firewall directly to version 10?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @prashanth_r

unfortunately, it is not possible to skip all PAN-OS versions between your current version and your target version. Here is reference in the documentation: PAN-OS Upgrade Guide. Also keep in mind that your target version PAN-OS 10.0 is already end of life: End-of-Life Summary

You should either aim for PAN-OS 9.1 or 10.1 (If that is supported by your Firewall: Palo Alto Networks Compatibility Matrix )

Kind Regards

Pavel  

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Hi @PavelK 

In maintenance mode I can see there is an option to revert/reinstall an imgae.

How to Reinstall or Revert PAN-OS from Maintenance Mode - Knowledge Base - Palo Alto Networks

Is it possible to upload the image to the firewall and from maintenance mode revert to that image?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @prashanth_r

thank you for reply.

I do not believe this is possible. The options you indicated in maintenance mode are used for recovery/reverting to previously installed image.

Kind Regards

Pavel 

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L1 Bithead

I have tried that option and indeed It's not working as you mentioned.

Disk Image has an option called "Advanced Options". 
This option requires a password. I have used "admin" and device serial number as the password, but in vain.

Is there any way I can flash the firewall to 10.1.2? I have another firewall running in 10.1.2, Is there a possibility to replicate that firewall to the one running PANOS 8 including the version?

Furthermore, the reason I'm looking for this upgrade method is because the dynamic update on the firewall is failing with the below error.
Picture1.png

Thank You

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!