Paloalto recommendation

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Paloalto recommendation

Hi Team,

This is a notification for Palo Alto support officials.

I have seen many customers upgrading to latest PAN OS without knowing bug involved in it.

I request Palo Alto support team to add this option like next to the date whether that version is recommended or
Not recommended.

If not atleast by mentioning * for the recommended version . When customer check for pan os by check now options they should able to see atleast * for recommended OS or details like recommended or not recommended .

This will help most of the customer to stay away from bug version and healthy environment

Let me know if any difficulty in providing this option

Regards
Venky
1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Venkatesan_radhakrishnan,

This request has been made many times, and I've personally had conversations with leaders within Palo Alto for implementation around some sort of 'Recommended' release notification. The pushback that I've heard on this is the complexity in actually saying 'X' version is going to work for everyone.

I kind of get Palo Alto's point here, as much as I would complain about it. You should be having these conversations with your SE or TAC so they can actually recommend an install based on your environment. A good SE will let you know if you can actually move forward with utilizing 8.1 for example with the feature set you are using, or whether you would be better off holding back on 8.0. 

I've also made the point that most organizations don't have that level of communication with their SE. For example, my SE at the moment due to a recent change doesn't understand my environment or the features that I'm using at all. Even my last SE only had a rough idea of the featureset that I had enabled.

Essentially, I see both sides of the argument. As a customer, you want to know if you should install 8.1.6 or 8.1.5 or 8.1.4 without opening a ticket. At the same time, Palo Alto doesn't want to say "Yup, 8.1.5 will work". It's kind of a double edge sword situation. While I tell everyone to stay away from 8.1 unless you have a lab environment that closely mirrors production so you can verify that all the features you are using actually work, I also know a lot of customers run 8.1.4 and 8.1.5 without issue because they aren't using that big of a featureset in their configurations. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!