PAN OS upgrade from 8.1.15 to 9.1.12-h3

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

PAN OS upgrade from 8.1.15 to 9.1.12-h3

L1 Bithead

Hi, 

My client is planning to upgrade their Panorama and PA5220 (x4) current PAN OS v8.1.15 to 9.1.12-h3.

Panorama > PA5220 x2 (HA) 

> PA5220 x2 (HA)

Just want a second opinion of below upgrade path is correct or not, and other pre-cautionary advise.

1. download 9.0
2. download and install and reboot 9.0.14-h3
3. download 9.1.0
4. download and install and reboot 9.1.12-h3

Upgrade Panorama first then upgrade PA5220 HA (passive) then failover to active, upgrade PA5220 HA (passive)

Not sure above steps can rollback to 8.1.15, please recommend.

3 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

HI 

The path looks good to me to be honest, it follows the suggested method as shown here  as for the roll back I suspect that there will be some migration involved with those versions but the upgrade/downgrade considerations can be found here

Hope this helps.

PCCSA PCNSA PCNSE PCSAE

View solution in original post

Community Team Member

Hi @SetoChiShun ,

As @laurence64 mentioned, the upgrade path looks good.

Note however, that reverting back (using the command debug swm revert) is not possible between major versions (only possible between minor versions).

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClcYCAS

Hope this helps,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L1 Bithead

Noted and thanks for your advise, Kiwi

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

HI 

The path looks good to me to be honest, it follows the suggested method as shown here  as for the roll back I suspect that there will be some migration involved with those versions but the upgrade/downgrade considerations can be found here

Hope this helps.

PCCSA PCNSA PCNSE PCSAE

Community Team Member

Hi @SetoChiShun ,

As @laurence64 mentioned, the upgrade path looks good.

Note however, that reverting back (using the command debug swm revert) is not possible between major versions (only possible between minor versions).

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClcYCAS

Hope this helps,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L1 Bithead

Noted and thanks for your advise, Kiwi

L1 Bithead

... additional device Log Collector (M600) that need to upgrade from v8.1.15 to v9.1.12-h3

Panorama - M600 > PA5220 x2 (HA) 

> PA5220 x2 (HA)

L1 Bithead

... for M600 upgrade via Panorama,

1. download 9.0
2. download and install and reboot 9.0.14-h3
3. download 9.1.0
4. download and install and reboot 9.1.12-h3

Any advise on upgrade path for both Panorama & M600....

On upgrade path, please advise whether to perform device side-by-side download/install Panorama & M600 to 9.0.14-h3 then download/install 9.1.12-h3 OR upgrade panorama (8.1.15 > 9.0.14-h3 > 9.1.12-h3) then M600 (8.1.15 > 9.0.14-h3 > 9.1.12-h3)?

BTW, I cannot find any downgrade (fallback) procedures on M600, please advise whether M600 can downgrade to previous version once upgrade 9.0.14-h3 or 9.1.12-h3?

• 3 accepted solutions
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!