Proxy IDs help

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Proxy IDs help

L2 Linker

Hello

I have a Palo Alto Firewall which wants to have IPsec Tunnel with a peer firewall which is a Checkpoint Firewall. Any of the firewalls can initiate VPN Traffic.

Can someone kindly let me know, what proxy IDs can be set on my Palo alto firewall for the following 2 cases.

Case 1:

My internal networks for VPN (Palo Alto Firewall) : 172.16.10.0/24 , 10.31.0.0/16, 10.40.40.0/24

Networks behind the peer (Checkpoint Firewall) : Unknown

Case 2

My internal networks for VPN (Palo Alto Firewall) : 172.16.10.0/24 , 10.31.0.0/16, 10.40.40.0/24

Networks behind the peer (Checkpoint Firewall) : Exactly same i.e. 172.16.10.0/24 , 10.31.0.0/16, 10.40.40.0/24

Thanks a lot !!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Hi Amit,

Ans 1:- you cant do this.

2;-  yes

Regards

Satish

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L7 Applicator

Hello Amit,

PROXY ID's are required to define the SPI key's in the IPSec VPN. SPI is a key pair, used for encapsulation and decapsulation of ESP packet.

CASE-1: Proxy ID's should be as mentioned below:

proxy-ID.JPG

CASE-2: You have to follow the DOC : Configuring route based IPSec with overlapping networks

Reference Info:Re: IPsec VPN Tunnel with overlapping subnets.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply! A few more questions:

1. Do I always have to mention 0.0.0.0/0 as remote proxy id or can i leave it blank?

2. Do I also have to add the IP Addresses of External Interfaces of Palo Alto and Peer Firewalls, in the Proxy IDs List ?

Thanks!!

L4 Transporter

Hi Amit,

Ans 1:- you cant do this.

2;-  yes

Regards

Satish

L4 Transporter

Hi Amit,

It may be help  you in configuration.....

How to Configure IPSec VPN

Thnx

Satish

Hi Satish,

thanks for your reply! Everything works now!!

Hi Satish,

I'm having a problem with Proxy-ID mismatch. This is between a PAN Firewall and a Cisco 3G router. For my local Proxy ID on the PAN, I have configured 10.5.0.0/16. However, when I look at the logs, it says 'received local id is X.X.X.X' 

where X.X.X.X is the public interface of the PAN. I can't figure out why.

Also, is a NAT-exempt rule required for my Local Proxy-ID?

'received local id is X.X.X.X' 

I believe this is telling you that the Cisco is sending the proxy-id with your public ip address.  You will need to check the configuration on that side to remove this setting and put in the ACL on the Cisco tunnel that you need.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!