URL Filtering - How does it work exactly with Service interaction

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL Filtering - How does it work exactly with Service interaction

L2 Linker

So let me start here fundementally all I'm trying to do is something like "Computer Y can access MS updates and nothing else" and my three pointers were:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/General-Topics/Security-Policy-with-Service-URL-category-config...

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClbvCAC

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClHXCA0

Also as an asside let me say 1) i really hate how often PA KB's conflict each other or do things differently, i.e. is it really that hard to deconflict (i.e. check the URI's listed; yes I understand somebody just went * for one of them) and 2) Why people never do anything in Panorama as it makes following examples / screenshots a PITA; like simpy show/list both ways.

Anyways generally speaking what I want to know, and a search didn't really say anything, is exactly when does URL filtering kick in.  Does it kick in after a Service="ssl" or Service="web-browsing" match?  Does it kick in regadless of service context the first time it thinks it sees HTTP (or HTTPS)?  Basically what is the interaction between "service" and "URL categories".  For example if I say "service=web-browing deny; URL Catgory=allow list google.com" does it still let me to google? If say "service=webex allow; URL Category=webex_category deny" does it allow webex.com or not?  The specific interaction between those two times when licensed for both is pretty unclear to include OOP.  What if I HTTP to a non-standard port, does URL filtering still kick in if it sees HTTP on port 48123? etc.  Like I get the context of URL filtering IF service=web-browing (or service=ssl) when they are complimentary but not when it's they are dependency services or the OOP interactions when they conflict.

Fundementally in Panorama (to the point) I assume I'm just making a rule that says "allow service=web-browsing/ssl; block-categories all (67) allow list *.microsoft.com" which should work as long service doens't override it.  Either way documentation on this could be clearer.

Lastly (since I'm here) do you EVER have to update the PAN-DB URL FIltering database (Device->licenses) or is this just a one time thing when you first activate your license never to have to do it again until it expires or you wipe the box?  It's the only license with an active/download status field hence I've always wondered on that given I can always 'download now' which I find odd as it suggetts it's something you may need to occasionally do but at the same time, it's not a dynamic update. I assume it just autoupdates somehow or it queries real time? LIke I've never understood on teh URL filtering side how those updates are handled.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Here you go.

Ruleset that permits Windows Updates.

rules.PNGobject.PNG

PANDB download now button will download seed file.

All other updates are dynamic. You do it only once.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Here you go.

Ruleset that permits Windows Updates.

rules.PNGobject.PNG

PANDB download now button will download seed file.

All other updates are dynamic. You do it only once.

Will test it out tomorrow and cool as a practical matter but any ideas or can point a doc that explains the interaction and OOP between services and url filtering or hell how URL filtering even works in details .. would help with other issues down the road I think.

You mention service many times and then refer to web-browsing or ssl.

I think you mix up with application.

Because service column specifies regular tcp or udp port. Regular Layer 4.

In my example top rule permits traffic if application is identified as ms-update.

Palo always tries to identify application based on signature or heuristics. 

If application signature does not identify this traffic as ms-update then second rule will permit web-browsing or ssl on their regular port (application-default) if it is going to URLs that are specified in custom url category called windows-updates.

Simple packet flow in Palo

Palo packet flow.jpg

And detailed packet flow

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClVHCA0

web-browsing traffic:

SYN

SYN-ACK

ACK

HTTP GET - Palo get's URL and checks the category.

Server sends back website - Palo shifts application from insufficient-data to web-browsing

In case of SSL URL is received from data on certificate. So if cert says *.google.com Palo can't identify if user went to mail.google.com or maps.google.com

To get detailed URL categorization you need to decrypt SSL.

https://urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/query/

Thanks for great explanation!

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

So I'm reading that but not groking the flow exactly even the detailed one.  Let me walk you through  where my brain is going and ask you clarify:

On your first rule it would seem to me that it would allow the source to access the entire web as well including non-MS updates since "web-browsing" is an implicit dependencie of ms-updates (show predefined application ms-update) though I'm not going to lie, my brain has had a hard time groking implicity-use and use applications when it comes to rule evaluation.  So my source going to playboy.com would be allowed I assume because of the URL filter "any" coupled with the implicit-use web-browsing for the ms-update application-id, i.e. I feel you still need the the URL filter rule even w/ application=ms-update because of that.

Lets take that a step farther, lets say rule1 = "deny application=ms-update url=windows-update" and rule2 = "allow application=ms-update url=any", in that scenario which rule triggers if I send ms-update to "ninja.com"? Does rule1 trigger because ms-update ignores URL categories regardless of implicit-use so denies it simply based applicatoin-id or does rule2 trigger because implicit-use will get it past rule1?

What I'm trying to figure out (and I can't tell even from the detailed) is the interaction between URL category and application, i.e. are they treated independent of each other (i.e. can I use a URL category w/ app-id SSH for example to block a FQDN) or is URL category a subdependency ONLY of the single application web-browsing and use with any other application (even implicity-use) ignores it. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!