HIP Checks failing GP failing GP users called in ACL's when source device is Apple

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

HIP Checks failing GP failing GP users called in ACL's when source device is Apple

L2 Linker

Hi All,

So I have Global Protect running with the HIP license.  Our current conditions for HIP connectivity are; 1. Must be Windows 10 or 11, must have Crowdstrike installed and running, must have Zscaler Client Connector installed and running.  I have no problems with any of these users.

However, we have a very small subset of users on Macbooks, iphones and ipads that need to use Global Protect.  So what I've done is created ACL's, calling the specific source usernames (pulled from Azure) who require those Apple devices, and gave them special ACL permissions above the "catchall" GP ACL line everyone hits (Windows, Crowdstrike, Zscaler) with their own special HIP check that only looks for "source device is Apple," so that the end result SHOULD be only these 2 or 3 users are allowed to use Apple devices, and that they rest of the users still have to use Windows, and hit the catchall GP ACL and HIP check below it. 

What I'm seeing is the Apple users still fail the HIP check, even though I've created and applied a special HIP on their ACL that only looks for Apple devices as the condition, along with their specific source usernames/accounts. I can even set a line for those users and not have any HIP check enabled on said line, and it will still block them on the catchall. I've set it to "any" and "none," but neither work. 

It's like the Palo is not recognizing the source user matches that special ACL line and moves right to the catchall GP line, which causes them to fail since the Catchall HIP looks for Windows. What makes it even stranger is when I check the HIP monitor, it's hitting the right HIP check for those users (the special Apple one I created), so that leads me to believe it IS in fact recognizing the source user, but it's still failing HIP for them.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Here are some screenshots attached.  Right now my leading guess is that HIP just doesn't work very well if you start adding multiple ACL's based on the source user? 

Edit: If I put the "Apple" HIP object as an OR condition on the catchall HIP check and ACL line, then it works fine, but that also allows ANYONE to use Apple devices OR Windows devices, and I don't want that. I only want this handful of users to be able to use Apple devices, and everyone else to ONLY be able to use Windows. 

dromanelli_0-1702919699035.pngdromanelli_1-1702919744847.png

dromanelli_2-1702920160790.png

1 REPLY 1

Hi @dromanelli 

"I can even set a line for those users and not have any HIP check enabled on said line, and it will still block them on the catchall. I've set it to "any" and "none," but neither work. "

Above statement indicates that the problem is not with the HIP, but with user-id matching.

In order traffic to be allowed over the firewall it has to match all the critiria applied on that rule. This means that once the users connect to GP, they needs to match one of the usernames AND the HIP profile. If you remove the HIP profile from the rule, this means traffic is not match the username in your rule.

Palo Alto user identification works  by creating ip-to-user mapping, basically mapping a source IP to username. When packet hit the firewall it will get the username from that mapping and will perform policy lookup to search for rule matching source network AND source username AND HIP profile.

- What authentication are you using for your GP? Local (creating users locally on the firewall)? or Remote (LDAP, RADIUS, SAML etc)?

- If you are using remote authentication, are you using group mapping? Group Mapping (paloaltonetworks.com)

- How did you define the username in the rule? Manually type them or select them from the dropdown?

I am almost certain that your problem is in the user identification and not in the HIP, but you can easily confirm this by looking at the HIP logs. Go to Monitor -> HIP Match. There you can filter by username or IP address and see what HIP object and HIP profiles that user has matched. Try to connecting with MacOS and check the HIP logs

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!