MS RDP via GlobalProtect is not working in some cases

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

MS RDP via GlobalProtect is not working in some cases

L0 Member

Hello all,

we need to allow to access different machines via MS RDP.

I write here which accesses work/not work to get an idea of our problem:

Location 1 -> S2S -> Location 2 -> RDP working

Location 1 -> S2S -> Location 2 -> S2S -> Location 3 - RDP working
GlobalProtect -> Location 1 -> S2S -> Location 2 -> RDP working
GlobalProtect -> Location 1 -> S2S -> Location 2 -> S2S -> Location 3 - RDP not working

The only thing we see with the connection not working is that the TCP handshake is not working. It shows Application "incomplete". The firewall policies allow the traffic. 

MichaelCL_0-1678433047226.png

Test performed:

- client-side UDP disabled
- RDP NLA disabled
- Windows firewall disabled

It makes no difference.

Maybe someone here has an idea what else we could check.

Thanks,

Michael

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @MichaelCL ,

Looking only at the session end reason and detected application will not give you the full picture of what is happening.

I strongly recommend to everyone when reviewing logs to always add the two columns - "Bytes Sent" and "Bytes Received"

By default log view include column Bytes, which is summary of sent and received traffic. When adding those two you can quickly identify if firewall receive return traffic.

In my experience incomplete is always explained with missing return traffic. Of course why there is no return could be cause by various reasons:

From the provided information it looks like Location 3 either does not have correct route for the GP pool or not allowing:

- Check the IPsec tunnel between Location 2 and Location 3. Is GP IP pool part of the encryption domain for IPsec phase2?

- Does Location 3 have correct route for GP IP pool pointing to tunnel to location 2?

- Any firewall rules in location 3?

- Any NAT being applied for the traffic over the tunnels?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @MichaelCL ,

Looking only at the session end reason and detected application will not give you the full picture of what is happening.

I strongly recommend to everyone when reviewing logs to always add the two columns - "Bytes Sent" and "Bytes Received"

By default log view include column Bytes, which is summary of sent and received traffic. When adding those two you can quickly identify if firewall receive return traffic.

In my experience incomplete is always explained with missing return traffic. Of course why there is no return could be cause by various reasons:

From the provided information it looks like Location 3 either does not have correct route for the GP pool or not allowing:

- Check the IPsec tunnel between Location 2 and Location 3. Is GP IP pool part of the encryption domain for IPsec phase2?

- Does Location 3 have correct route for GP IP pool pointing to tunnel to location 2?

- Any firewall rules in location 3?

- Any NAT being applied for the traffic over the tunnels?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!