Setting Failed Attempts and Lockout Time

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Setting Failed Attempts and Lockout Time

L1 Bithead

Hello,

I would like to set failed attempts and lockout time on my Global Protect auth profile but I do not see where I can set this. The only place I see these settings is in the global profile but I would like to set this only for Global Protect. I am using v 10.2.4-h2

Thanks for any thoughts.

MJF

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Raido_Rattameister_0-1695918490275.png

SAML Profile for example don't have this option. You need to configure lockout on SAML/2FA provider side.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Lockoud time can be configured at 
Device > Authentication Profile > Auth-Profile-Name > Advanced tab

You can also adjust vulnerability signature 40017 (Objects > Security Profiles > Vulnerability protection) if source IP should be blocked after specific number of failed login attempts.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

If your GP uses something like active directory, you could use a GPO to set something like, lockout after <> failed attempts and unlock after <>minutes.

Regards,

Thanks Raido

I will try the vulnerability Profile. When I go to the Auth profile and advanced, I am only seeing the allow list.

MJF

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Raido_Rattameister_0-1695918490275.png

SAML Profile for example don't have this option. You need to configure lockout on SAML/2FA provider side.

Can you provide details on how to do that?  I've seen ID 40017 mentioned in older documentation but can't find anything that references how to do it.  I'm trying to block IPs after a certain number of failed GP portal login attempts - I've got numerous brute force attempts happening.

If you go to Objects security profiles you can create a vulnerability profile there. If you add a vulnerability profile you can go to Exceptions and check all signatures then search for 40017 to edit. I was able to stop the brute force attacks by disabling the VPN web portal page because all my VPN users are using the client.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!