How to set selective syslog server?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

How to set selective syslog server?

L0 Member

Can I set palo alto to check if syslog server is up before forwarding the log, and if the main syslog server is down then forward log to another server?

I have issues that I need palo alto to not forwarding logs to both servers at the same time.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for posting question @Theerdam

I was researching this topic and doing some verification. Regardless of PAN-OS version there can be up to 4 syslog servers configured in one syslog server profile, however there is no logic / connection check. Syslog server profile is sending logs to all targets simultaneously. One way to go around it would be to send all the logs to Virtual IP address of Load Balancer, then based on health check send logs to either of the real syslog server.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for posting question @Theerdam

I was researching this topic and doing some verification. Regardless of PAN-OS version there can be up to 4 syslog servers configured in one syslog server profile, however there is no logic / connection check. Syslog server profile is sending logs to all targets simultaneously. One way to go around it would be to send all the logs to Virtual IP address of Load Balancer, then based on health check send logs to either of the real syslog server.

Kind Regards

Pavel

L0 Member

Hi, I have one query here. 
Imagine the Syslog server is down for a few hours, and later once the syslog server is up again, will the firewall send fresh logs or the meantime logs as well ?

@pchevveti 

If the syslog server is down then as per my understanding firewall will store logs locally and once server is up it will send old new logs.

Regards

Mahesh

MP

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!