Cortex XSIAM XQL Query Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cortex XSIAM XQL Query Issue

L1 Bithead

Hi Team,

I was searching some logs and I found the query I was running initially was just different from the later (2nd) query, however, I was not getting any results for first time but got the results by 2nd query. I moto here just to understand what was the difference using contains or in or "=" for the message or event log fiels while filter out the data. Please find the queries below.

1st Query: (failed to give any results)

config case_sensitive = false timeframe = 2d
| dataset = microsoft_windows_raw
| filter event_id in (4729, 4733, 4735) and message = "*hide for privacy*"

*****************************************************************************************

2nd Query: (Provided the exact event results)

config case_sensitive = false timeframe = 2d
| dataset = microsoft_windows_raw
| filter event_id in (4729, 4733, 4735) and message contains "*hide for privacy*"

Any help or right explaination for this will be appreciated  🙂

Cortex XSIAM @jtalton  Cortex XDR 

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

Hi Mohitparashar,

The '=' operator is an exact match operator, it does not accept wildcards as you are trying to use them.  Also, since contains is already a substring search, you needn't include the wildcards in your search.

Hi @afurze

Appreciate you reply, could you please confirm the difference between Message "contains" and Message "In". Sometimes using "In" operator give me the exact results I'm looking for but there was situations the operator return 0 value without giving me any error.

@Mohitparashar the in operator supports wildcards and can function identically to contains. For example, these two queries are essentially the same:

jorandall_1-1710779721314.png

jorandall_0-1710779652789.png

Link to the docs: https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XSIAM/Cortex-XSIAM-XQL-Language-Reference/Supporte...

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!