Amazon EC2 Maintenance: Instance scheduled for reboot "VM Series"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Amazon EC2 Maintenance: Instance scheduled for reboot "VM Series"

L1 Bithead

We recently got the following message from AWS regarding one of our VM Series firewalls:

"One or more of your Amazon EC2 instances are scheduled for maintenance. These instances are listed in the Affected Resources Tab. During this time, the instances in the XYZ region will be unavailable and rebooted.
At any time before 2024-01-26 06:00:00 UTC, you can reschedule this maintenance or stop and start the instance through the AWS API, AWS CLI, or AWS Management Console. When rescheduling, you can pick any time up to 2024-02-11 04:00:00 UTC, at which EC2 will perform maintenance on the instance. Otherwise, you can wait for EC2 to reboot your instance during the scheduled maintenance window. For more details on how to reschedule this event as well as other alternatives to complete this maintenance see the EC2 user guide.
You can find more information about maintenance events scheduled for your EC2 instances in the AWS Management Console.

* What will happen to my instance during this maintenance event?
During maintenance the instance will be rebooted. The reboot generally takes a few minutes to complete. After the reboot, your instance retains its IP address, DNS name, and any data on local instance-store volumes.

* What will happen when I stop and start the instance?
You can stop and start the instance at any time before the scheduled maintenance window. This will migrate the instance to a new host and the instance will not have to undergo the scheduled maintenance. Please note that the data on any local instance-store volumes will not be preserved when you stop and start your instance. For more information about stopping and starting your instance see the EC2 User Guide.

* Why does my instance require maintenance?
EC2 routinely performs maintenance on the underlying systems in order to strengthen the security, reliability and operational performance of the EC2 service for our customers."

I searched for official information from PaloAlto that would indicate if there are any considerations to be made to ensure that the firewall is not affected by the maintenance that AWS will carry out, but sadly I couldn't find any.

We plan to issue a shutdown from the firewall's GUI to bring it down gracefully; once the maintenance is done by AWS, we will start it again.

My question is, has someone stumbled with an AWS maintenance in the past? Do I need to consider something else in my plan? Or can someone point me to a document about it?

Thanks!

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!