Directory Sync usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Directory Sync usage

L3 Networker

Hello everyone,

Just curious who uses the Directory Sync tool out there? If you use it would you mind sharing a quick like/dislike about it? I really want to incorporate it into our environment but not entirely sold on it... yet. Any feedback about it would be appreciated. Thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9

L4 Transporter

Hi @CraigV123-

While I'm not an end-user / admin, I can speak to its functionality.  For Cortex XDR Prevent environments, Directory Sync allows the ability to leverage AD OU's and groups to assign policy.  This may or may not help much depending on the use of different policy rules for groups.  For Cortex XDR Pro -- Directory Sync serves a much deeper role.  In addition to the policy benefits, Directory Sync provides the data needed for event context enrichment.  

David Falcon 
Senior Solutions Architect, Cortex
Palo Alto Networks® 

For Cortex XDR, can AD sync help with detecting unprotected/not checking-in endpoints? E.g. point AD sync to a specific computer OU and get alerts if endpoint list does not match the OU list?

Thanks!

Thank you for the additional insight! 

I'd be really curious on the answer to that as well. I'm not sure but it'd be nice to do that in order to find unprotected endpoints out there! Thank you. 

In terms of network asset visibility, if you have a Cortex XDR Pro per TB or Cortex XDR Pro per Endpoint license, then you may leverage Asset Management distinguish between assets managed and unmanaged by an XDR agent.  You may view details about an endpoint to determine the operational status (E.g. protected vs. unprotected) of the endpoint. 

@WSeldenIII is correct.  You would just need to use the Agent Installed = No filter under Assets > Asset Management.  

dfalcon_0-1609872107003.png

David Falcon 
Senior Solutions Architect, Cortex
Palo Alto Networks® 

Greetings ,

We are using Cortex Pro edition and I am keen to find how I can use this feature in Cortex XDR V3.6 ? 

My goal is same , to find endpoints which do not have agents installed ?

Thanks in advance

Hi @Balaraju 

Cloud Identity Engine (previously called Directory Sync Service (DSS)) enables to leverage Active Directory user, group, and computer information in Cortex XDR and provides the data needed for event context enrichment.  

Reference Doc: https://docs-cortex.paloaltonetworks.com/r/Cortex-XDR/Cortex-XDR-Pro-Administrator-Guide/Set-Up-Clou...

For endpoints where XDR agent is not installed but are domain joined you can find the endpoints which doesn't have agent installed in below ways:

1. You would just need to use the Has XDR Agent = No filter under Assets > Assets Inventory.

PiyushKohli_0-1680069085169.png

2. For endpoints where XDR agent is not installed but are domain joined, if Cloud Identity engine is setup and configured you can leverage the Cloud Identity Engine dataset (pan_dss_raw) to cross-reference the data with endpoints data dataset (endpoints) to identify assets which are a part of the organization domain but are not in the endpoints dataset. This can be achieved with a XQL query.

You can run this as a report on a periodic basis to get the list of endpoints without XDR and then leverage organizational processes to get XDR installed on those endpoints. Refer to this Live Community Post

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply and information provided , I will check that . Apologies for delay in replying . Thanks again 

• 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!