How to check if my PA device is already registered???

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to check if my PA device is already registered???

L0 Member

Hello all. We are receiving a bunch of palo alto devices at my facility that we are needing to reset and re-sell if possible. I've managed to figure out how to factory reset and password-recover the said devices, but how do i check and make sure the device is no longer registered to the other company?

With cisco, you can log into their portal and submit the serial number and it will tell you if it is claimed/unclaimed already, and I saw that you can make a "support account" that lets you add and manage inventory, however i do not have the purchase order number supplied from when these machines were initially bought, so Palo Alto refuses to let me make a support account.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks and Happy New Year!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@t.elliott24,

All of the serial numbers would have already been claimed by whatever organization you are receiving them from. This is done automatically even if the customer who purchased the hardware never went through the registration process.

You'll need to review the Secondary Market Policy and determine if you really want to be in the business of selling old Palo-Alto hardware. This isn't a straightforward process and you won't find a lot of people willing to purchase used hardware since the cost of re-certification and licensing generally isn't worth the savings of buying used hardware. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

I would get a list of SN's and create a case with Palo Alto Networks support. The case should be directed to the Admin/CSR team.

When creating a case, you will be asked for one SN, enter any of the ones you got.

The goal is to get an admin case created and not a technical case.

Toll free number is: (866) 898-9087

Cyberforce Commander.
Don't forget to hit that Like button if a post is helpful to you!

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@t.elliott24,

All of the serial numbers would have already been claimed by whatever organization you are receiving them from. This is done automatically even if the customer who purchased the hardware never went through the registration process.

You'll need to review the Secondary Market Policy and determine if you really want to be in the business of selling old Palo-Alto hardware. This isn't a straightforward process and you won't find a lot of people willing to purchase used hardware since the cost of re-certification and licensing generally isn't worth the savings of buying used hardware. 

Thanks so much for the both of you getting back to me. So I'm just now reviewing the secondary market policy for palo alto networks, it seems like it is a pretty sticky situation. From the people and some of them very reputable ebay networking wholesalers, I see that they are selling them on the secondary market but are stating that they come without licenses and the previous owner is "unknown". So then according to what i read in the secondary market policy... as long as the devices are not flagged as lost or stolen, then the buyer would be able to set the device up with Palo Alto without any issues, and also as long as the device is not end of sale or end of life?

So, where would one go to register a used item bought from ebay and the previous owner is unknown? also why is it that to register you have to have a corporate email. I want to get a LAB lic. for my used device and I have to use my Gov. email just to register?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!