Over 110% untilization

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Over 110% untilization

L4 Transporter

I am seeing my management plane spiking over 100% when do a preview and a commit, what could be causing that ? Also can a defrag be run or need to be run on the hard drive?

27 REPLIES 27

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

debug system check-fragment

debug system disk-smart-info

May both be of assistance if you suspect a drive issue.

so can these be running during normal business hours? Will it affect performance - you knew I had to ask 🙂

The times that the management plane utilization seemed to spike the most so far is when using the ACC, previewing a commit or a commit.

I

@jdprovine,

You can view the smart info during business hours; the fragmentation test takes about 5 minutes and I wouldn't do it during business hours if you can avoid it. I beleive that the only way to actually de-frag the drive is in Maintenance mode.

How do you put the drive in maintenance mode?

@jdprovine I believe @BPry was suggesting the entire firewall be put into maintenance mode.  I don't think you can put a single drive in MM.

That being said...What type of HDs does your FW have?  If SSDs I believe the general consensus is to not defrag them as it reduces the lifespan of the drives:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html?p...

Correct, if memory serves correctly you can Defrag a hard drive in maintenence mode. @Brandon_Weitz is correct. If memory serves correct I believe you have 3020s correct, so they would have non SSD drives unless you have upgraded them yourself.

Well I have a PA 5050 - so whatever drive came in it is what I have, But I do have an HA pair I suppose I could fail it over to the secondary and then run a defrag on the primary and then fail back. I am not sure that at this point the issues really point to the hard drive as yet. As mentioned on a previous comment at this time it appears that the issues occur when using the ACC, previewing a commit and doing a commit

I had a 3020 in my last job but at my current job we have an HA pair of 5050's

@Brandon_Wertz  the link you sent does not work for me

Sorry about that I copied a URL from "page 2" apparently that doesn't work:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html 

Hrmm...I think there might be something messed up with how the Palo site is coded because I can't get the HTML link to open when clicking on it on this site, but when going to it from my Chrome history or from a Google search it opens just fine.  (See the URLs are the same)

Error.PNGWorking.PNG

@BPry learned something new, thanks.  Didn't know you can put a single drive in maintenance mode.

@jdprovine,

O okay. Ya I thought I recalled you mentioning 3020 prior so I was going off that assumption. One thing you could try to do is the following when you are actually experiancing a high CPU count. Probably best to log the whole SSH session output.

> show jobs all (check for running jobs)
> set cli pager off (results will be fully expanded, you won't need to hit enter to scroll to the bottom of the results)
> debug management-server memory info (To check for fragmentation counter in ‘arena’ field)
> debug log-receiver statistics (To check whether logging is too high)
> show system software status (to associate running processes with IDs)
> show management-clients
> show system resources follow
Press number ‘1’ and then followed by <shift>H (to show threads). Let it run for a 30 seconds. Hit ‘M’ to sort by memory usage. Let it run for 30 seconds, and press ‘q’ to quit from it.
> show system disk-space

All of this can be run without much load to the CPU so I wouldn't be to worried about running it during the day. If you want to have the cli paging turned back on just remember to run the set cli pager on command; but leaving it off isn't going to cause any ill affects to your device, I actually leave paging disabled on my units so I don't have to scroll through the results.

• 27 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!