PAN Bandwidth Monitoring & Reporting

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PAN Bandwidth Monitoring & Reporting

L1 Bithead

Hello,

is there a way to generate a bandwidth usage charts from the web GUI or CLI (in Mbps)? I need to be able to show what applications are consuming bandwidth at certain times during the day.

The current usage reports in Network Monitor tool only show throughput per time unit (e.g. hourly total), which is not as intuitive as a bandwidth usage graph in Mbps.

Tuomo Makkonen

12 REPLIES 12

L4 Transporter

Hi Tuomo,

maybe this satisfies you demands

Panachrome.PNG.png

your get more information: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-4581

I used it because it is fast and short to get an overview but it is a chrome addon

Cheers Klaus

L4 Transporter

Hi

Think about permanet monitoring usung Cacti or Zabbix

Please read this topics

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/message/32069#32069

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-5636

Regards

SLawek

Thanks for the tips! I went through the docs, and it seems like using the Crome plugin, Cacti or Zabbix do not support grouping bandwidth usage by application, they only report the total bandwidth usage. Getting application specific data is the most important feature for me. Do you know of a way how this can be achieved?

L4 Transporter

Hi Tuomo,

if you connected by web-gui choose acc-tab. then it should be sorted by "bytes" and then choose your desired application. what you get are different sorted groups like grouped by zones etc.

Does this fit your needs more?

Cheers Klaus

Hi Klaus!

thanks for the help, but that's not quite what I was looking for. I'd like to have a bandwidth usage graph like the one you posted earlier, but also with application id information that PAN provides. Here's a random picture of what i mean:

: sw4111232011.jpg

L4 Transporter

what about this?

app.PNG.png

L4 Transporter

maybe you prefer line graph ;>))

line.PNG.png

so, that's all i have

That's close, but that shows the total throughput per application per time unit (in this case, hour). I need to show the customer the total available bandwidth in Y-axis, the time in X-axis and the amount of bandwidth consumed by applications in the graph. IMHO the graph above is not as intuitive, as the Y-axis shows the total compound throughput, and the bandwidth usage in Mbps must be calculated manually.

BTW, how do you interpret that graph? For example, at 9:30 the bytes count is about 19000M. I assume it means that the total throughput between 9:00-9:30 was 19000M, is that correct?

L4 Transporter

for me these are the traffic shares of the different apps and has unfortunately nothing to do with bandwidth of a certain line. this could be something for a request and i guess it should be possible to realize for PA.

kdd set up Zabbix and you can have lots of pretty graphs and trends. There's a learning curve to it but it's not insurmountable.

kdd with some extra work you can even graph IPsec tunnel bandwidth if that's something valuable to you... see Integrating Zabbix and PA subinterfaces via API and my comments

• 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!