telnet with EBCDIC encoding

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

telnet with EBCDIC encoding

Not applicable

We are having some issues with IBM telnet (tn3270) through a PA-200.  The telnet sessions are very sluggish.  I had to remove the firewall to restore performance.  The telnet is using EBCDIC encoding.  I had been specifying a security policy using the application telnet.  When I get a chance I will change that to service port 23 and test again.  Hopefully performance will improve if the application is not being analyzed.  I don't know how PA handles EBCDIC.  Has anyone else had issue with IBM telnet?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

L5 Sessionator

Can you try using app-override to see if it improves performance https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-2816

Good suggestion.  I will give that a try.

L5 Sessionator

Like suggested by sraghunandan you should definitely try app override.Below is what happens when you do app override

Issue

• The Palo Alto Networks device is classifying traffic as "Unknown-TCP" or "Unknown-UDP".
  • A custom application override is created and applied to a rule to re-categorize the traffic.
  • The traffic is now properly identified but there is no URL filtering applied to the traffic falling under that rule.

Resolution

This is normal behavior.  A rule with a custom application override does not pass through any of the URL, threat or anti-virus scanning engines.  The scanning engine will be used with an app-override if you use an existing built-in application such as web-browsing.

See also

How to Create an Application Override

The above information can be accessed on the following link as well.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1343

Let us know if this helps. Thanks

L6 Presenter

Being "sluggish" sounds more like a routing issue or mismatched speed/duplex for one or more interfaces of your PA (which results in retransmits, lost packets etc).

did you try app override yet ?

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!