Can't create a project in newly installed expedition

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can't create a project in newly installed expedition

L0 Member

Hi!

What happened so far:

I just installed expedition thru initSetup.sh on Ubuntu Śerver 16.04. Script had massive problems (among others)  with mysql (Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)) hence no databases got created. Trying to log into the webgui resulted in same error in /var/log/mysql/error.log.
After changing the mysql rootuser pw to 'paloalto', the error changed to 'Unknown database 'pandb'. So I manually created the four databases and loaded the dumps from the database-directory (there was an errormessage regarding a single line in one of the .sql-files regarding timestamp - I just hope, that's not a showstopper).

Now I can log into expedition and after commenting out the 'bind to 127.0.0.1', the internal checks on the righthand side within the dashboard all came back green.

However - entering the 'Projects' Tab, clicking on the '+'-sign, entering a name (e.g. ssg) and then clicking on 'create project', instantly shows the same popup-dialog with no visible change, but moving this dialog sideways reveals an error message popup behind it, sporting 'REMOTE EXCEPTION' in the header, but no content.

There's nothing left but to click cancel an the front- and 'OK' on the rear pop-up.

Now the project shows up in the project list, but

trying to add an admin user results in the previous blank error-popup

a doubleclick creates a 'Unknown database 'ssg' in the mysql error log and trying to e.g. import a ScreenOS-config again results in the 'Unknown database 'ssg'-entry in the mysql-errorlog and the progress bar stays at 0% forever.

Somewhere I read that one shouldn't set a root pw since the installer will set paloalto itself during the setup, so I die setup a brand new ubuntu-server with no root-pw, but now the expedition-installer stops with a mariadb-screen notifying me that not settinga root-pw is a bad idea, but could be done. But here, I can't continue - using TAB-key, return / Cursor all end up in creating some unreadable root-pw but no chance to continue the install. Bailing out with Ctrl-C will contnue the rest od teh install, but since the db-setup is not existant, most of the rest fails...

So any suggestions, how to get a working expedition-setup? Either repairing the 'old' one or thru a fresh server-setup (but then I would need to know how to cleanly pass the maria-db-root-pw-dialog)?

Any help will be appreceated,

Kai

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L0 Member

Hi!

So I reinstalled Ubuntu Server from scratch - this time with language english (instead of the previously chosen german - I didn't see any notes regarding supported server languages). There are still a gazillion error messages in the script output, but this time the db-initialization went thru - I can log into the webgui, create a project and was able to import a Juniper ScreenOS-Config. 

Not sure, if the language did the trick or something else was different compared to the first few attemps.

Just wanted to let you know.

Kai

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L0 Member

Hi!

So I reinstalled Ubuntu Server from scratch - this time with language english (instead of the previously chosen german - I didn't see any notes regarding supported server languages). There are still a gazillion error messages in the script output, but this time the db-initialization went thru - I can log into the webgui, create a project and was able to import a Juniper ScreenOS-Config. 

Not sure, if the language did the trick or something else was different compared to the first few attemps.

Just wanted to let you know.

Kai

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!