An endpoint with the Cortex XDR installation intermittently creates a huge file and writes to the hard drive at C:\Windows\System32\PaloNull

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

An endpoint with the Cortex XDR installation intermittently creates a huge file and writes to the hard drive at C:\Windows\System32\PaloNull

L2 Linker

Dear Live Community Members,

One of my customers noticed that some endpoints with the Cortex XDR installation sometimes creates a huge file that grows in size with time.

On several VMs equipped with the Cortex Agent (version 7.7.1, but we also noticed this with older versions in the past) sometimes a file called "PaloNull" is created, which grows really huge and eventually uses up all free disk space on the C: drive.

We cannot leave the file in place when this occurs since it impedes normal operation.

This data are being written/saved to the hard drive at the C Drive at the below location:
C:\Windows\System32\PaloNull 

PalNull.png

This happened on approx. 10-15 VMs running Windows Server 2016 up to 2022 (maybe even older versions) within the last 12 months.
An older VM (Windows Server 2016) had Cortex installed for almost two years, whereas the newest VM (Windows Server 2022) was equipped with Cortex just a month ago.

The customer correlates this to Cortex due to the name (PaloNull) and the fact that this occurred also on systems with no other PAN software installed (we ruled out PAN TS Agent for NGFW User ID as a cause just before creating this ticket).
Apart from the default Windows Defender which we leave untouched, no other security software is installed on the affected devices.

I could not find any info about similar issues and the sample file does not provide any useful data.

I have a sample of that file, but I can't access and read the data from it:

PaloNull_1.PNG

Could you help me out and let me know if this is a known bug? And how can we troubleshoot why this happens?

I'm struggling to confirm that this file has been in fact created by the Cortex XDR and the reason behind it.

And I will really appreciate your help and any hints to investigate this issue further.

Thank you in advance!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L2 Linker

Dear All,

The engineering team saw 1 or 2 similar things in the past a long time ago. In all the cases it has been related to 3rd software (like nirsoft utility or some other system-wide tools).

So far, the issue did not occur again. We did include a check in our monitoring system, and as soon as it reappears, we will investigate further and reopen the case with the PA TAC.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

Hi, 

One or more tools that are installed on the system may be causing this issue. Please raise a support ticket with our Customer Support team to help investigate and fix this issue.

Thanks,

Silviu

Silviu-Mihail Dascalu

L3 Networker

Please let us know, how this Problem could be solved.

BR

Rob 

L2 Linker

Dear All,

The engineering team saw 1 or 2 similar things in the past a long time ago. In all the cases it has been related to 3rd software (like nirsoft utility or some other system-wide tools).

So far, the issue did not occur again. We did include a check in our monitoring system, and as soon as it reappears, we will investigate further and reopen the case with the PA TAC.

Cheers!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!