Converting XML from firewall to Panorama template

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Converting XML from firewall to Panorama template

L1 Bithead

Hi,

I assume this question has been previously discussed, however I wasn't able to find a thread that describes the process.

I am looking to import an .xml file from a palo alto firewall and use expedition to convert the config into a device group and template within panorama.  Can someone share the steps needed to acheive this?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

depends on your end goal. 

Are you looking to migrate a production firewall config to be managed from panorama?

if yes then using the import option from Panorama is the best process to follow (article linked below):

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/panorama/8-0/panorama-admin/manage-firewalls/transition-a-firewall...

If your goal is to use the configurations to be moved to a template then you can import both configs (firewall and panorama) into Expedition, make the Panorama your base configuration (under 'EXPORT') then merge the objects from the firewall config to the appropriate  panorama device-group or template.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L5 Sessionator

depends on your end goal. 

Are you looking to migrate a production firewall config to be managed from panorama?

if yes then using the import option from Panorama is the best process to follow (article linked below):

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/panorama/8-0/panorama-admin/manage-firewalls/transition-a-firewall...

If your goal is to use the configurations to be moved to a template then you can import both configs (firewall and panorama) into Expedition, make the Panorama your base configuration (under 'EXPORT') then merge the objects from the firewall config to the appropriate  panorama device-group or template.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I was looking to acomplish the second scenario of importing the firewall config to merge into a template (without importing the actual device into panorama).

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!