Expedition won't update (404 error, "repository has no Release file") since upgrade to 1.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Expedition won't update (404 error, "repository has no Release file") since upgrade to 1.1

L0 Member

I upgraded Expedition to version 1.1 with no problem, but since then, the APT package update has consistently reported:

Err:10 https://conversionupdates.paloaltonetworks.com expedition-updates/ Release
  404  Not Found

E: The repository 'https://conversionupdates.paloaltonetworks.com expedition-updates/ Release' does not have a Release file.

As you can see, the problem is a straightforward HTTP 404 error, as in the repo website is broken.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Hi, not true at all 🙂 That means only the Release file was not found (in purpose) but if now you continue with the next command

sudo apt-get install expedition-beta

You will see how upgrades, please let us know

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

Hi, not true at all 🙂 That means only the Release file was not found (in purpose) but if now you continue with the next command

sudo apt-get install expedition-beta

You will see how upgrades, please let us know

I accept this solution, but I'm not enthusiastic about it.  I don't recall encountering the apt update error when I previously performed an upgrade.  You are instructing me to "go ahead anyway," despite bad signs about whether the process is going well.  That isn't good security advice.  The fact that the repo gives errors, and that the package itself is not signed, do not give me confidence in how this software is being produced.  It is not professional-grade work, and PAN should do better.  (That statement stands on its own, but consider the 2017 CCleaner malware incident if you need more convincing.)  Nevertheless, you are correct that proceeding with the apt upgrade step despite the repo error does result in Expedition getting upgraded to version 1.1.1.  Thanks for your help.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!