Migrating PA-3050 to PA-1420

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Migrating PA-3050 to PA-1420

L0 Member

I'm attempting to use Expedition to merge the config from our PA-3050 (PAN-OS 9.1.x) into the config for a PA-1420 (PAN-OS 11.0.x). The problem is that the vsys1 components aren't transferring across.

Can anyone guide me through what I need to do to get this merge working in Expedition? Thanks in advance.

Base config: PA-1420_base.xml

Config to migrate: drfw_20240711.xml

After hitting the Merge button go to the Devices section and view the now updated PA-1420 config: It doesn't show the interfaces, virtual wires or virtual routers:

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 16.12.29.png

Those components are still shown in the config from the PA-3050 that I'm trying to migrate:

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 16.12.43.png

For the record this is a screenshot of the configs after I've imported them but before making any changes:

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 16.10.44.png

And this is a screenshot after I've dragged the components across just prior to hitting the Merge button:

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 16.11.16.png

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Hi @Kevin_Clark 

Thanks for reaching out.

Expedition tool is intended to help on migrations from 3rd party vendors and also to optimise the security posture on a PANOS device.

The migration you are describing could be done using PANOS features as export and import from old to new devices (you may need to update networking information and VPN configuration). Once you have your configuration pushed to your new device you can download it to Expedition and do some optimisation like removing duplicates and merging similar policies among other features Expedition can help.

Said that, if you still want to use Expedition for that please check the file /tmp/error after doing the merge and share it with me using the email fwmigrate@paloaltonetworks.com

Hope this helps,

David

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Hi @Kevin_Clark 

Thanks for reaching out.

Expedition tool is intended to help on migrations from 3rd party vendors and also to optimise the security posture on a PANOS device.

The migration you are describing could be done using PANOS features as export and import from old to new devices (you may need to update networking information and VPN configuration). Once you have your configuration pushed to your new device you can download it to Expedition and do some optimisation like removing duplicates and merging similar policies among other features Expedition can help.

Said that, if you still want to use Expedition for that please check the file /tmp/error after doing the merge and share it with me using the email fwmigrate@paloaltonetworks.com

Hope this helps,

David

L0 Member

Thanks, David. 

I'm pleased to report that the import of the config from our PA-3050 (PAN-OS 9.1.x) into our new PA-1420 (PAN-OS 11.0.x) was successful. Thank you for this recommendation. 

Kevin

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!