Preparing PA-440 for connection with Expedition

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Preparing PA-440 for connection with Expedition

L1 Bithead

Greetings from a PA/Expedition noob...

My end result is to migrate from a Cisco ASA 5505 to a PA-440.

So...

I've got VMware Workstation Player (VMWP) installed on a spare Win 10 pc;

I've got Ubuntu server 20.04 instance (UBS) installed in the VMWP;

I've got the latest Expedition installed into the UBS;

I can launch Chrome on the Win 10 PC and logon successfully to Expedition;

The single "remediation" issue shown in the Expedition GUI is fixed, so expedition is happy.

Next, using a console connection and PuTTY on a spare Win 10 laptop, i powered up the PA-440;

I reset the admin password;

I don't have Panorama, so I disabled ZTP at the CLI;

I disconnected the console connection and connected the laptop to the Mgmt port;

I've logged in successfully to the PA-440 webgui.

Is there a specific PA document that I should be using to configure the PA-440 so I can connect it to my LAN (trust side of the ASA) and then use Expedition per the video tutorial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gbQ-YcgoPs&list=PLD6FJ8WNiIqVez8EBeoyRsnQcKTA5FuZ-&index=1

(There's a big gap of knowledge between video part 1 and part 2)

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@UNMPDgordon for connecting your PA-440 firewall to the network, you can refer below article :

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClS2CAK

If there is any questions on setting up your PA-440 , please open a TAC case , our TAC can help you on the task. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

L6 Presenter

For PA to PA migration, you can export the running config from the old device and import and load into the new device . There is no need to use expedition . If you have any questions, please open a TAC case . 

L4 Transporter

Hello @UNMPDgordon 

I am not entirely clear what your problem is ? What exactly is it where you need support? What exactly are you having doubts about or are you stuck on?

I remain attentive

Regards

High Sticker

Apologies for the blunt response but I did make it clear in my second sentence that I'm migrating from a Cisco ASA 5505 to a PA-440.

I'm stuck at not knowing what to do next with the PA-440 (finish the basic config) so I can connect it to my LAN so I may then use Expedition to migrate the settings and rules from my Cisco ASA to the PA-440.

With all due respect, I thought my explanation on what I've done and my question about what PA document was pretty clear...

@UNMPDgordon to obtain pan-OS base config, you can either export the running config from PA-440 and import it in the expedition, or add a device in expedition and use API to retrieve the running config from PA-440

With all due respect Lychiang, you're not reading the original question fully.

The Cisco ASA is our active FW, the PA-440 is fresh outta the box with the steps completed as outlined in my OP.

I need to _prepare_ the PA-440 so I can connect it to my LAN so that I _can_ add it to Expedition and _then_ follow the step sequence in the videos I linked to.

Please reread my original question carefully before responding again!

I will not accept as a "solution" responses that don't answer the question posed in the OP.

@UNMPDgordon for connecting your PA-440 firewall to the network, you can refer below article :

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClS2CAK

If there is any questions on setting up your PA-440 , please open a TAC case , our TAC can help you on the task. 

Thank you.

Your link is to an older version but it _is_ a proper answer.

I found this article (similar but newer) a short time ago:

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-2/pan-os-admin/getting-started/integrate-the-firewall-in...

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!