Best Practice - Blocking Applications at Certain times.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Best Practice - Blocking Applications at Certain times.

L1 Bithead

Greetings

I am trying to find a Best Practice for blocking applications at certain times for a certain group of users.

As i see it

I create a policy for these users allowing them access to a few applications. now if i wanted to allow them acces to Instagram or Netlix as an example.

I could 

1) add Netflix in tho the allowed group, then

A) Create a block Policy on a schedual AFTER the allow Policy.

B) Create a block Policy on a schedual BEFORE the allow Policy.

2) Create a an ALLOW Policy for Netflix on a schedual.

But i dont really know which option works Best.

Can someone provide some insight or point me to a Knowledge base that might explain the best way to do this?

Thank you

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

While I have not seen an article on this yet. I am in favor of the whitelist approach method. In your example it would be option 2. This way its still DENY ALL and allow by exception.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Wykeham,

This is one of those 'depends on environment/people' type of things. I would personally go with option 2, knowing that if it didn't match the allow policy it would hit the interzone-default policy. However, I'm also envolved in enviroments where the other administrators can't seem to visulize how the traffic is supposed to process unless I did something like option 1. Either one obviously works perfectly fine. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

While I have not seen an article on this yet. I am in favor of the whitelist approach method. In your example it would be option 2. This way its still DENY ALL and allow by exception.

Hope that helps!

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Wykeham,

This is one of those 'depends on environment/people' type of things. I would personally go with option 2, knowing that if it didn't match the allow policy it would hit the interzone-default policy. However, I'm also envolved in enviroments where the other administrators can't seem to visulize how the traffic is supposed to process unless I did something like option 1. Either one obviously works perfectly fine. 

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!