Can't Create Rule for National Bindery Library App

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can't Create Rule for National Bindery Library App

Not applicable

I work in a University, and recently our library began to use - or try to use - an app called "Able" from http://able.nationalbindery.com

We're behind a PA 2050 running 3.1.5 firmware.

The site uses an embedded Java app to communicate with a remote server. From what I can tell, the client initiates a session to dst port 80, then the server responds and all future communication happens across remote tcp port 9000 (and whatever random port the client chooses).

I can't seem to create a policy that will allow this traffic. I've created a policy from "Trust" to "Untrust" allowing "Service" tcp 80 and tcp 9000.

I've also added a policy from "Untrust" to "Trust", allowing port 9000. Nothing.

Does anyone have any experiece with this app? I can provide a pcap if necessary.

Thank you,

David Scott

Freed-Hardeman University

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

@david.scott:

You can submit an application request via the Applipedia section of our support website:

http://ww2.paloaltonetworks.com/applipedia/

click the "tools" link and then the "submit an app" link

A packet capture from the client PC is always helpful when creating new application signatures.

-Benjamin

I submitted this to applpedia just after your post. I never even received a confirmation that it had been received. Should I have?

L4 Transporter

Maybe the tcp 9000 traffic is actually client-server, but with your PC acting as server and their webserver acting as client.

If that's the case, you need some sort of "secondary connections" mechanism.

Or, if there would be only one PC the application is used from, a NAT port forwarding...

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!