How do you do validation testing?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How do you do validation testing?

L2 Linker

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you do your own validation testing of security patces for PAN-OS and vulnerabily signatures.  Example being, do you confirm your edge is vulnerable to a specific CVE, and then after patching do you confirm it's no longer vulnerable, and if so (any version of this kind of thing) what tools or processes do you use to do this?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

External/Internal scanning is recommned and sometimes required depending if your company falls into a specific group, i.e. PCI, FIMSA, etc. There are tools that can be used for this purpose, both free and paid. Qualys, Tennable, and Rapid7 are examples of paid services. Free services include the Kali linux distribution, however I'm sure a quick google search can find more. 

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

External/Internal scanning is recommned and sometimes required depending if your company falls into a specific group, i.e. PCI, FIMSA, etc. There are tools that can be used for this purpose, both free and paid. Qualys, Tennable, and Rapid7 are examples of paid services. Free services include the Kali linux distribution, however I'm sure a quick google search can find more. 

Hope that helps.

@OtakarKlier pretty much nailed it here. There are a metric ton of free/open source material to test your network. Kali is probably the most popular however it really comes down to what you need to actually test your network against and how comfortable you are in doing so. Paid services are, of course, going to be a little bit more user friendly and won't take as much time to research and learn how to use as something like Kali does. That being said if you Google pretty much anything that you want to do with Kali, there is probably an article with the steps you will need to take layed out for you. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!