How to configure WOL forwarding through a VPN tunnel

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to configure WOL forwarding through a VPN tunnel

L0 Member

We connect two firewalls (PA-200 and PA-500) with a VPN tunnel

and want to initiate a WakeOnLan command from one side of the VPN to an pc on the other side.

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

From what I underastand of WOL, very basic, its a layer 2 operation so it wont route outside of a vlan or subnet. I think its in the way you send the WOL packet rather than the VPN tunnel config.

I found some stuff doing google searchs with the string 'wake on lan over vpn'.

Hope this helps!

probably its a solution like for Juniper:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB11654

but I cannot recognize a similar one in my PA

Another keyword for my problem: "Broadcast forwarding"

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but since I got the same problem, I just wanted to add: the juniper solution is working. I had the same issue: WoL packets allowed by policy, but droped by the firewall (PA-3020 in my case). I can see it when doing a packet capture on the firewall (stage drop).

On the Palo Alto, you can go on Network -> Interfaces -> (outgoing interface)  -> Advanced -> ARP Entries

You add the broadcast address (192.168.1.255 for exemple), and the mac FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. And the magic packet goes magic!

Regards,

Alexis.

I can also confirm that this is a working solution! Thnx!

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!