IPSEC VPN - app-id

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

IPSEC VPN - app-id

Hello all,

We have a software ipsec connection that will be between an inside server and a server in the cloud. The PA will just be a pass through so to speak, (nating and security rule).

The ipsec requires UDP 500 and 4500 and the IP 50 protocol. Do you know which app-id's I'll need for that?

The palo has these 4 app-id's:

ike tcp/500, udp/500

ipsec-ah - nothing

ipsec-esp - nothing

ipsec-esp-udp - udp/4500, udp/4501

I don't see anything for IP 50, is there?

Also, since I'm using app-id, do I leave the service still as "application-default"?

Thanks.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

esp is protocol 50. If you look at the details of ipsec-esp, you'll see the 50 defined.

All protocols have a number. For example, tcp is 6 and udp is 17.

If you select the ipsec application, it should be fine to leave as application-default.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

The file /etc/protocols on a Linux system has (among others) the following lines:

esp 50 IPSEC-ESP # Encap Security Payload [RFC2406]
ah 51 IPSEC-AH # Authentication Header [RFC2402]

My experience is that ipsec-{esp,ah} matches ip protocols 50 and 51

L5 Sessionator

esp is protocol 50. If you look at the details of ipsec-esp, you'll see the 50 defined.

All protocols have a number. For example, tcp is 6 and udp is 17.

If you select the ipsec application, it should be fine to leave as application-default.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!