Log Question - Key Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Log Question - Key Exchange

L1 Bithead

We randomly seem to get some alerts that say:

SYSTEM ALERT : high :  error: Key exchange failed in SSH handshake - DH key

I'm new to Palo Alto firewalls and was just curious if this is something that can be ignored? Was thinking that this might be the result of just some networking issue this to fail and generate this alert.

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

Hello,

Do you have SSH enabled on the external interface of this PAN firewall. Is there any threat logs on this PAN FW Monitor > Logs > Threat.?

Thanks

I'm going to assume SSH is enabled.

On our External interface the management profile is: Allow_ping_ssh_https

As far as threat logs, I don't see any for SSH in our current logset which does not go as far back as when these SSH Handshake logs were noticed.

Hello

It seems that this alert was generated because of a failed attempt to gain access to the device via SSH. If you think, someone is trying to get unauthorized access on your device, you may configure "permitted IP Addresses" list on your PAN firewall.

permitted-list.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Ok thank you. That is what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help.

L6 Presenter

Hi Mathrew,

I tried to reproduce this error, but wasnt successful in any configuration scenario.

Do you have accessive SSH attempts on firewall, this kind of error comes in DOS scenario.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!