Need information on DHCP Relay

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Need information on DHCP Relay

L2 Linker

Hello. To start I had a DHCP server configured on one of the interfaces on our Palo 810 PanOS 8.1.2. The DHCP addresses being handed out were not being registered with our DNS server so I was tasked to make that happen. I figured I would just set up DHCP relay instead. Unfortunatly I cannot get DHCP relay to work because of some setting on the DHCP server (windows 2012 r12). I am not sure what the setting is , but what is goig on is the DHCP server is trying to hand out the wrong subnet ip. It should be getting a 10.0.1.0/24 IP but instead its handing out 10.0.0.0/24 IP. So the palo is dropping the traffic because its the wrong IP. 

ANyone know what option needs to be set on the DHCP server for this to work properly? Altertativly if anyone knows how to have the palo run the DHCP server as before but update our DNS server with the records that would be great as well. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas this is driving me bonkers.

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

What is the scope on your dhcp, it will only give out what you allow it to....

also what is the address and subnet mask of the switch or device that is acting as an ip helper.(if you use one)

Hello,

Along with configuring the relay, you need to have security policies in place to allow the traffic. Source from both zones as there is the 'request' and then the 'reply'.

i.e. 

source               destination            application

dmz                    internal                  dhcp

internal              dmz                        dhcp

Regards,

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!